2002 Volkswagen Golf 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - A great small car

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

A great small car
By 2fastdre on

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I really enjoy my Golf GLS TDI and have almost 14K miles on it already. The fuel economy is excellent and rivals that of electric hybrid cars. I have not got lower than 45 MPG in mixed driving even through the cold winter months. Although 90 HP is not impressive, the 155 LB-FT of low end torque is what makes the around town and Colorado Rocky Mountain drives very satisfying. Even when loaded, this thing cruises along in 5th gear at about 2200 RPM up slopes where '96 4cyl Legacy has to scream at more than 4000 RPM in lower gear to maintain the same speed. I would recommend this car to anyone who is shopping for a small car.

Favorite Features

I really like the engine performance and fuel efficiency. I also enjoy the high quality of the inside (especially the dashboard). And safety features are impressive: with 8 airbags and ABS on all 4 wheels.

Suggested Improvements

I find that: folding the rear seats can be improved (the cushions seem cheap when you have to fold them). Rear legroom needs more. The low positioned windshield wipers have a great tendency to freeze (the heater does not reach them). The headlight light pattern can still be improved.