Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Impressive
By Egolf

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Only owned 1week, but I love it. Very smooth and refined. Pleasantly surprised with the power from base 2.0 engine and 5speed trans. So far, fuel economy near upper end of rating and car not even broken in. It's a Benz on a budget. This car is an excellent highway/hi-speed cruiser. After 1 week of ownership, can't really comment on reliability but if it proves to be reliable then this may be the best car I've ever owned.

The Monsoon sound system is nice. I like the cool blue guages. The base engine has certainly exceeded my expectations. It sounds nice, revs freely, feels smooth, and has impressive torqe. One of the few cars I've ever driven that feels like it has more power than it actually does.

Cup holders need work. They work well but the location sucks.

Golf GL
By DVCJ

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great interior, solid feel, ABS standard, side air-bags standard. Costs a bit more than a Focus but what a difference in feel and overall quality.

Interior materials, overall quality.

Back seat is tough to fully fold.

Nimble City Car for a single person
By nicedoggie

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the '00 model (Germany not Mexico). The power steering belt had to be replaced after 1k miles. Stohlman vw in Virgina gave me a great price, but service dept is incompetent (been going to their competitor in DC, which is great!). The engine had to be retuned (factory recall) recently. Great low-end torque and body size for living in the city. Noisy engine on the highway (would prefer the 1.8t). Rear seats are cramped and often have to fold down for golf clubs. The shifter isn't the smoothest, but better than the auto. If you want a nimble sports hatch, this is it.

grill and lights are sporty and better looking than jetta's. great standard stereo and firm seats.

time to replace/modify the outdated 2.0L-4. The civic and focus offer much more power.

Less room, more fun...
By audiPhile

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I picked my new 2002 Golf GLS yesterday. I bought it 3 days ago for $15,200 without the taxes and extended warranty ($900 extra for 7 year, 75 K miles with road side assistance). I'm an Audi fan, and had an old Audi before I decided to buy a new car. But I had to stick to the $16,000 range as I'm getting married. The Corolla, Civic and Sentra were possible choices. All these cars had similar seating space except that the rear leg room for the golf is smaller by an inch. But the golf has a bigger cargo area.

1) More Std features like keyless entry, pwr win, A/C,CD, cassette, remote pwr htd mirrors, Alarm, ABS & Lumbar support. 2) Front, and 2 Side Air bags. excellent crash rating. 3) Cool Blue and Red lighting on the dash! 4) Sporty, Stylish looks and decent gas mileage.

* The cup holders are above the radio. So you cant adjust the radio controls with a drink in the cup holder!

Great Car
By Neko

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased the gls a month ago and it truly is an incredibly fun car to drive. I love everything about it: the interior design, the blue and red lights, the stereo, huge cargo space, 8 airbags, abs breaks etc etc. The new 4 year warranty is great too. The handling is amazing and it definitely feels and looks like a more expensive car. I had a strange, albeit minor glitch the first week when my alarm started going off by itself at random times whenever i locked the doors. The dealer looked at it, and were a bit perplexed, but think it had to do with the starter (which they replaced). I still am not sure, but hopefully that will be my only problem with the car.

dashboard lights, in-dash cd player (now standard on 2002 golfs)

Cupholders are in the worst place and the car isnt very soundproof so it can be a noisey ride. I also wish it still came in the 1.8 turbo! The 2.0 liter isn't very fast when starting out, but once its in gear it picks up in speed nicely.