Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

GOLF - Simply awesome
By Hogan Jr.

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I considered the Focus, Saturn, Civic, and Sentra before I finally settled on my Golf. Don't let the 115 HP fool you. It's got some umph!! The Golf feels like it should be $5,000 more than it costs. The Monsoon sounds great and the Indiglo Blue looks great. Heated seats, washers, and mirrors will be nice come December. Crash data an added plus.

The look and feel of a quality car. Go from a test drive in a Focus and hop into a Golf and experience the difference.

How about an upscale 2-dr model. If you want the better options, you MUST get the 4-dr. It still looks good but I'd rather a 2-dr. Can I please get the allow wheels without the moonroof? Stop all DRLs!!! If I want them on, I'LL turn them on, ok?

good car
By baja

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my golf in 2000. This is a nice car,brakes good,handeling in courves is great,looks good,nice interior,has a lot features for a decent price

good on gas, handeling good, sporty look, good brakes, seats are comfortable, heated mirrors, power trunk etc

moore power, plastic parts need better quality, both front door make noise, replaced brakes on 25000milesoverall it's good car but need some improvement. Dealer need to treat customers a littlre bit with moore respect(after we purchase a car)

Best hatchback for the buck
By donthasslemeimlocal

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 4 door Golf GL with 5 speed transmission is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The attention to detail in the exterior and the interior is amazing. Everything is very well made and durable. I only have 400 miles on it so far, but the gas milage is already superb. The hatchback design is very useful, and the two extra doors in the back really provide extra utility. Looks and feels way more expensive than it is. People who sit in it don't believe me when I tell them it only cost me $15,095 (before tax of course). If you are considering a focus, civic, lancer or the like I urge you to test drive one of these.

Instramentation, exterior styling, hatchback utility, height adjustable front seats, nice door handles, standard remote entry and alarm system, interior lighting, interior fabric and materials, three-point seatbelt on all 5 seats, headrests on all 5 seats.

I had to drive about 80 miles from where I live to get a good deal. All other dealers in my area weren't very willing to come down much from MSRP, but if you're persistant you can find a good price. No complaints about the car so far.

AWESOME VALUE FOR THE $
By JumpinJohnnyRocket

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th VW. I had two 97's and a 99 Jetta. Build quality is exceptional, materials are pure German. I added 16inch BBS Wolfsberg wheels and tires for much improved handling. I have always been a huge fan of the GTI but for value reasons I chose the GL. The GTI offers much sportier engine and suspension but it was not worth the additional $3700. Standard features are abundant. I love this little box..

Quality of materials. Pure German

NONE

Great Little Driving Machine
By BocaBoy65

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm hooked on German Engineering. The way my Golf handles still amazes me. Wethor driving on slick roads, ice, or sharp turns, my car effortlessly careens me thru. This handling EATS tires so make sure you ROTATE. The interior design is also awsome. The color of the dashboard lights, the placement of controls, the seat pattern design and the chrome extras all make up an impressive look that is always complimented when someone gets in my car. Interior hardware not so good. Visor lights, side view mirror and seat handles all broke within first month.Gas milage is just ok.

Interior Design and Handling