Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fun car with good value
By pec4ad

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Golf GLS 5M on the last of Year 2001, now have 6000 miles on the odo. Great performance, beating many sport cars at the stop lights. Lots of fun to drive and good value for the money. The car did have some minor problems, I got three parts changed under warranty and one recall. So far satisfied with the purchase.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration with the first three gears. Useful features and awesome brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Rear chair hard to fold. Screws on carpetsavers easy to break. A light on dash telling cruise enabled or disabled. High-beam indicator too bright (unadjustable). Better cupholder. Front passeger-seat foldable. Stronger A/C and better MPG.

so so
By golf

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a GLS a week ago. The check engine light was on 2 days later after I took it home. The dealer said it was caused by loosed fuel tank cap and fixed it. A week later, I added more gas into the tank and tighten the cap, the check engine turn on again just in 1 day. I have to take my car to see dealer for 2nd time in 9 days. I heard that VW would replace the car if the same problem appears in a year/10,000mile, I do wish this is true, but who knows?

Lemon or Not
By Ladybug

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rdtime taking the 02 Golf in for service. The 1st problem -the auto transmission would get stuck in Park, and thus wasn't driveable. Dealer first made "an adjustment" which subsequently was unsuccessful. 2nd time I brought the car for service, they replaced a "celanoid-something" to correct it. I've taken the car in for the 3rd time because there is sometimes a long delay engaging into Drive or Reverse. Upon engaging, the car jerks. When having an intermittent problem like this, it is hard for service dept. to fix, if they haven't encountered it. Next they will reprogram the transmission control board

Favorite Features

Dash features; stereo

Suggested Improvements

automatic transmission

VW cars- THE BEST UNDER $20000!!!
By Flanker

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2000 Jetta and a 2001 Golf. They are great! Just great! Quality, design, convenience, features, price, gas milage... We can go on and on and on. They often ask me "is there anything you regret about these cars, there must be something" to a guy like that I say "yes I do regret that I did not buy them much sooner" PERIOD

Favorite Features

Shape, handling, performance, trunk (both Jetta and Golf) fuel economy (auto Jetta 33-34 MPG, Golf still too little milage to know).

Suggested Improvements

Next time put an on-board trip computers in both the Jetta and the Golf. That is the only thing missing.

review
By Bpugac2925

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

VW should close it's faxtory in Mexico. Too many problems with VW Golf GLS 2.0 Ring job (At 18000 miles to reduce oil cosumtion), passenger power window (twice), headlight, poor gas mileage (should do 33-35 on highway), Great expectations,poor reality.

Favorite Features

Good low-end torque. After 50 mph is almost a king on a highway.

Suggested Improvements

Change engine(more powerful,tighter rings),decrease oil consumption,decrease gas mileage, dramatically increase build quility.