2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great car!
By pilotdc9 on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had absolutely no problems with this car during it's 68,000+ miles. Very comfortable on long trips and my 17 year old loves it. Fuel economy ranges between 42 and 53.7 mpg.

2002 TDI Golf
By gary moore on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I had a probelm with the front passenger door- water was getting in through the mirror area. It took the dealer four times for the probelm to be fixed after I had threatened them with the lemon law.

Think Twice
By Disgruntled Admirer on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My car's "control module" (read: brain) malfunctioned about 5 months into my purchase and I was quickly enmeshed in the most bitter customer service battle of my life. The car was cutting out on hills (a problem in San Francisco) and I was made to feel like a hysterical idiot because the dealer (not Lithia) could not diagnose the problem. They promised to pay all my rental car costs (about 5 weeks worth) but only paid for a fracion in the end. Also: other cruise control stopped working, window failed and consistent rattle (from shoddy finish and the vibration from the deisel). Also, the felt-type upholstery is a lint magnet.

A great small car
By 2fastdre on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I really enjoy my Golf GLS TDI and have almost 14K miles on it already. The fuel economy is excellent and rivals that of electric hybrid cars. I have not got lower than 45 MPG in mixed driving even through the cold winter months. Although 90 HP is not impressive, the 155 LB-FT of low end torque is what makes the around town and Colorado Rocky Mountain drives very satisfying. Even when loaded, this thing cruises along in 5th gear at about 2200 RPM up slopes where '96 4cyl Legacy has to scream at more than 4000 RPM in lower gear to maintain the same speed. I would recommend this car to anyone who is shopping for a small car.

TDI just keeps on going
By W.T.S on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

this is my fourth diesl from VW, in the past 10 years. My current 2002 has been trouble free, with an excellent service dept. The 2002 is loaded with features and drives and feels more like a full size car, none of the tinny ,clunkyness of its competotors and that includes Honda. I have owned a VW product since 1974 and would not be without one, they are just fun to drive, and if maintained long running and usually trouble free.

Worth every penny and more!
By VWRules on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the highest quality car I have ever owned. I have never bought domestic, only imports. Until now, I thought Honda and Acura were the bomb.. now, I see that VW has much more quality and overall bang for the buck. Such a solid design. Airbags everywhere! And heated seats, you wouldn't expect them in a car sub 20K! VW, you did it again!

This car is the best!!!
By CritterHopper on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the most awesome car. Fuel economy, reliability (diesels last forever) and good resale value are what sold me! quality all around, no less than exceptional. Much more for the money than you would expect for a car <20K. Good job VW! Loyal VW owner for life! I'll never buy any other make!

Ultimate Commuter Car
By Long Dist Commuter on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive 180 miles every day on my commute---this is absolutely the best car to have. It is much more refined, has better materials, and feels more substantial than the Hybrid cars, and is cheaper in sticker price and fuel (at least here in California, diesel is 10/15% cheaper than gas). Tons of room for passengers and groceries, too.

Just read the Lemon Law!!!
By happy on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

If you have any recurrent problems with your car you should just read the Lemon Law in your state. Mainly it says if it had 4 unsuccessful repairs for a serious defect/safety defect or it spent more than 30 days in service, no matter if finally repaired or not, the law gives you the right to ask VW of America to repurchase or replace your car. Yeah, that's true, your money back minus some offset mileage and you can buy another one. Just stay away of VW next time. They are SOOOOO POOR at customer support. You don't want to get another car with problems from them. Just read the Lemon Law! It's that simple. And next time, don't buy a VW!

Luxury for everyone
By Pseudobrit on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car so far. I fill the tank up maybe twice a month. Interior is lovely. A reviewer was right when he talked about "democratized luxury." This is a nicely appointed, fully featured car for well under 20k. Total cost to own/cost per mile is lower than any of the "similar vehicles" Edmunds offers for review.