2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
'02 Volkswagen Golf - Slow
By Radek on 03/16/07 10:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is OK to drive, but it needs more power. The inside lights are nice and the comfort of the ride is not to bad.

My First New Car Treated Me Well
By Claire on 01/21/07 14:13 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf was perfect until after I had put 60,000 miles on it, then things started to fall apart. I had some mechanical trouble that ended up being quite costly. Other than that, I loved the car. It was fun and sporty.

Awesome Ride
By great car on 08/08/05 13:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Read all the negative reviews you want: this car is phenomenal for the price range. Sure there are the small problems (windows falling in doors, etc) but the warranty covers them all...buy it used, chances are the problems have already occured and been fixed. The car looks great, the interior feels like a high end model, and it is a blast to drive this lil' guy. The monsoon sound system is great and all the interior goodies are awesome. I bought this with a little over $30,000, and man, it still feels brand new and a good amount of the warranty still remains. Highly recommend.

Good Golf
By Long distence driver on 07/28/05 19:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new for long distance commuting (170 m. one way) and at 3000m it was nearly totaled. The VW dealer put is back together and it has been a great car. It is quick, comfortable economical and reliable. It now has 130,000 miles and is a superb automobile.

lemonade anyone?
By disappointed on 04/07/05 21:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What hasn't my VW Golf spent time in the shop for...its terrible lights, the radio died three times (after waiting for for 3 months), the airbag system went...etc, etc, etc...I'm going back to Honda.

Our Golf
By Scott88Gt on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good car, not a problem to date. I would not hesistate to buy another VW. No, it does not have as much power as my other two cars, but its a Golf not a full-race 850 BMW either. I have transported engines, one treadmill and stuffed it full for one move--I like it.

Can't beat it
By chukchi on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Its been a little over two years and 60k miles since I purchased my Golf. I have owned 3 other VWs. This one maintains the good VW qualities and has fixed most of the bad ones. The safety features are untouchable by other cars in its price range and many of the more expensive cars on the market. Handling and performance are more than acceptable. I average 31-33mpg with mostly highway and backroad driving. The only problems I have had are minor (broken window clips, cracked window moldings, loose wiper fluid hose in hatch). The best characteristic is the cargo space. I fit a new dishwasher with all its packaging in the back, with room to spare.

Japanese for me
By No Good on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just like all of the other reviews here on Edmunds - drives and looks great with poor build quality and reliability (2002 model). In two years I have had it to the shop 7 times, including 1 tow. Lots of rattles from the dash and vents, broken radio and window motor, frozen doors (it snows/rains in Germany, right?), wouldnÂ’t shift out of park so I needed a tow to the dealer and now I have noticed the burning oil at 27K (smells like a 2-cycle motor the first 10 sec after starting in the cold). Average 24mpg with 70% highway driving.

So far So good
By audiPhile on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new and have 28K miles on it. My left headlight and the right brake light didn't work at 27 K. Had to take it to dealer and replaced it(Warranty). I haven't had any engine problems at all except that it drinks a lot of oil and I keep 2 quarts in my trunk. I asked the dealer last week and he told me to bring in next time the oil shows half in the dip stick and they would do an oil consumption test. One more thing. My doors get stuck in freezing winter and have to use force to open. Recently I hear light noise from my AC grill. Got to get it done soon! But overall I like my car. Has been very reliable and fun and looks nice!

Need improvement
By X_VW_Fan on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car with manual tranny for 21 months. Basically I am happy with the performance and still think this is a fun-to-drive car. Quality is a biiiig problem. So far dealer had to fix/change clutch swtich, rear lid strut and power window. Today, the radio is dead.