Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Poor choice
By dbasler

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it. We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year. It chugged oil with no visible leaks. In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900. It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us. Thank you lady. Put the thing out of its misery.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive though.

Suggested Improvements

In the 2 door the passenger seat tears up the front seat belt cover when lifted.

Stylish and cheap
By Diego

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I had a great experience using a VW product. The car drives excellent, has a great steering sensation, not so much power but with the 5 speed tranny still gets a good speed. Brakes and shocks had a great feeling, and the fuel economy is great, even with the A/C on, and the equipment is fine. Changed engine due to flooding, but any other major problem

Favorite Features

Sunroof, small size for parking, engine sound, cold A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Think everything has been improved

This car helped save my son!
By sandy

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just wanted to let everyone know that this little car saved my son's life! He was doing about 45 mph and ran a stop sign late at night due to fog, he went airborn into a field where he it a 8" round tree. The air bags deployed. The only injury he got was a scrape on is face from the airbag and a passenger had a sore shoulder. The car held up well even though it was totaled...It really didn't look that bad, I expected worse! Thank you Volkswagen for making such a nice, solid car....

Very Sad
By AMY

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my Golf up until this past August when the car hit 35k miles. The car has been the shop 3 times since then with electrical issues. Two of the trips required towing. First, the brake light switch went out and caused the car to reduce power and then it could not be shifted out of park. Next the fuel relay went bad and drained my battery. Could not jump the car, had to be towed again. Now the dash lights come on randomly on their own in damp weather. Dealer has no clue why its doing this. I love the looks of the car and driving the car. But I am afraid once its out of warranty I will be dumping tons of money into it. I had planned on keeping this car a long time but now I'm unsure

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, good gas mileage, cute car

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, faulty electrical parts

gti?
By Arthur Melkonian

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

even if it is the cheapest bavarian car out there, it still does it for me!

Favorite Features

tightness of frame, and the handling the car has, it feels like I'm going down a ski slope when I'm on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

POWER WINDOWS!!!! standard, armrest standard,power mirrors standard. if these were standard on the gl well atleast the armrest and the windows, it would make it the perfect car.