2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Poor choice
By dbasler on 03/25/13 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it. We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year. It chugged oil with no visible leaks. In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900. It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us. Thank you lady. Put the thing out of its misery.

Stylish and cheap
By Diego on 07/12/08 16:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I had a great experience using a VW product. The car drives excellent, has a great steering sensation, not so much power but with the 5 speed tranny still gets a good speed. Brakes and shocks had a great feeling, and the fuel economy is great, even with the A/C on, and the equipment is fine. Changed engine due to flooding, but any other major problem

This car helped save my son!
By sandy on 04/27/06 20:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just wanted to let everyone know that this little car saved my son's life! He was doing about 45 mph and ran a stop sign late at night due to fog, he went airborn into a field where he it a 8" round tree. The air bags deployed. The only injury he got was a scrape on is face from the airbag and a passenger had a sore shoulder. The car held up well even though it was totaled...It really didn't look that bad, I expected worse! Thank you Volkswagen for making such a nice, solid car....

Very Sad
By AMY on 12/28/04 10:53 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my Golf up until this past August when the car hit 35k miles. The car has been the shop 3 times since then with electrical issues. Two of the trips required towing. First, the brake light switch went out and caused the car to reduce power and then it could not be shifted out of park. Next the fuel relay went bad and drained my battery. Could not jump the car, had to be towed again. Now the dash lights come on randomly on their own in damp weather. Dealer has no clue why its doing this. I love the looks of the car and driving the car. But I am afraid once its out of warranty I will be dumping tons of money into it. I had planned on keeping this car a long time but now I'm unsure

gti?
By Arthur Melkonian on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

even if it is the cheapest bavarian car out there, it still does it for me!

VW cars- THE BEST UNDER $20000!!!
By Flanker on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2000 Jetta and a 2001 Golf. They are great! Just great! Quality, design, convenience, features, price, gas milage... We can go on and on and on. They often ask me "is there anything you regret about these cars, there must be something" to a guy like that I say "yes I do regret that I did not buy them much sooner" PERIOD

AWESOME VALUE FOR THE $
By JumpinJohnnyRocket on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th VW. I had two 97's and a 99 Jetta. Build quality is exceptional, materials are pure German. I added 16inch BBS Wolfsberg wheels and tires for much improved handling. I have always been a huge fan of the GTI but for value reasons I chose the GL. The GTI offers much sportier engine and suspension but it was not worth the additional $3700. Standard features are abundant. I love this little box..

Great Little Driving Machine
By BocaBoy65 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm hooked on German Engineering. The way my Golf handles still amazes me. Wethor driving on slick roads, ice, or sharp turns, my car effortlessly careens me thru. This handling EATS tires so make sure you ROTATE. The interior design is also awsome. The color of the dashboard lights, the placement of controls, the seat pattern design and the chrome extras all make up an impressive look that is always complimented when someone gets in my car. Interior hardware not so good. Visor lights, side view mirror and seat handles all broke within first month.Gas milage is just ok.

Golf GL
By DVCJ on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great interior, solid feel, ABS standard, side air-bags standard. Costs a bit more than a Focus but what a difference in feel and overall quality.

Nimble City Car for a single person
By nicedoggie on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the '00 model (Germany not Mexico). The power steering belt had to be replaced after 1k miles. Stohlman vw in Virgina gave me a great price, but service dept is incompetent (been going to their competitor in DC, which is great!). The engine had to be retuned (factory recall) recently. Great low-end torque and body size for living in the city. Noisy engine on the highway (would prefer the 1.8t). Rear seats are cramped and often have to fold down for golf clubs. The shifter isn't the smoothest, but better than the auto. If you want a nimble sports hatch, this is it.