Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Good run
By little_eva

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new after 14 great years with a Jetta. This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta but is not as rugged, tho I have hauled more stuff in the Golf and done more city driving. But I have 105K on it and haven't had to do any major repairs except it now needs a timing belt. This car is fun to drive and comfortable as I am short, but it is difficult for passengers with long legs. The latch to allow trunk expansion over folded rear seats broke, which is inconvenient and I broke the antenna off on the excellent sound system which limits its radius - both pricey repairs but work arounds. Good maint from dealer.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Hugs road and responds well. Handles snow pretty well up to 5 inches. Good brakes. Lots of cargo space. Good sound system. Good temp controls. Impossible to lock yourself out. Good one-person car.

Suggested Improvements

Too many unnecessary lightbulbs. Cupholder in way of stereo. Doors always locking themselves. Limited legspace when cargo space expanded - pain to change around.

Poor choice
By dbasler

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it. We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year. It chugged oil with no visible leaks. In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900. It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us. Thank you lady. Put the thing out of its misery.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive though.

Suggested Improvements

In the 2 door the passenger seat tears up the front seat belt cover when lifted.

VW Golf pros and cons
By achh

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a used 02 golf its safe good engine fun car to drive. I would take it over anything american car. My recommendation to anyone buying vw cars get them brand new. Repairing them once your warranty is exspensive and a pain in the [violative content deleted]. Sensors constantly have to be replaced. Ill be looking to buy a new car. While I like the 2011 jetta tdi the repair cost once the warranty expires will be through the roof because its a turbo diesel engine. Im a pass on vw you get great service from the dealer and they offer loaners if available. But you should for the service cost thats charged. Enough a Enough im getting a honda. Hope this is helpful for anyone buying a vw.

Suggested Improvements

Vw are made in germany the weather is similar to the midwest. Too many eletrical and sensor problems. They dont last long term the way honda and toyota do. Mayby they never will because of all the eletrical components. I had my golf for six years so you could say I got my money worth. But I also put my money into it with repairs. Oh well.

Stylish and cheap
By Diego

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I had a great experience using a VW product. The car drives excellent, has a great steering sensation, not so much power but with the 5 speed tranny still gets a good speed. Brakes and shocks had a great feeling, and the fuel economy is great, even with the A/C on, and the equipment is fine. Changed engine due to flooding, but any other major problem

Favorite Features

Sunroof, small size for parking, engine sound, cold A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Think everything has been improved

Look elsewhere
By robert

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this VW for quality German engineering. My mistake. It had chronic (monsoon) radio/cd problems which are expensive to repair. Front door windows fell out but were covered by mfr recall. Transmission went out twice (112,000 and 128,000 miles). It cost $4500 and VW America would not help with either transmission. Even the wheel logos are poorly installed and fall out at $40 each. Cup holders completely block access to stereo while in use. Black velour seats tend to hold lots of lint and dirt. Looking forward to selling this car and buying a Japanese or American car.

Favorite Features

Good looking car.

Suggested Improvements

VW America should provide better quality control and stand behind their product better. Radio/cd player goes out frequently. Automatic transmission is very unreliable and expensive.