2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Good run
By little_eva on 04/26/14 07:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new after 14 great years with a Jetta. This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta but is not as rugged, tho I have hauled more stuff in the Golf and done more city driving. But I have 105K on it and haven't had to do any major repairs except it now needs a timing belt. This car is fun to drive and comfortable as I am short, but it is difficult for passengers with long legs. The latch to allow trunk expansion over folded rear seats broke, which is inconvenient and I broke the antenna off on the excellent sound system which limits its radius - both pricey repairs but work arounds. Good maint from dealer.

Poor choice
By dbasler on 03/25/13 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it. We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year. It chugged oil with no visible leaks. In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900. It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us. Thank you lady. Put the thing out of its misery.

VW Golf pros and cons
By achh on 07/26/11 00:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a used 02 golf its safe good engine fun car to drive. I would take it over anything american car. My recommendation to anyone buying vw cars get them brand new. Repairing them once your warranty is exspensive and a pain in the [violative content deleted]. Sensors constantly have to be replaced. Ill be looking to buy a new car. While I like the 2011 jetta tdi the repair cost once the warranty expires will be through the roof because its a turbo diesel engine. Im a pass on vw you get great service from the dealer and they offer loaners if available. But you should for the service cost thats charged. Enough a Enough im getting a honda. Hope this is helpful for anyone buying a vw.

Stylish and cheap
By Diego on 07/12/08 16:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I had a great experience using a VW product. The car drives excellent, has a great steering sensation, not so much power but with the 5 speed tranny still gets a good speed. Brakes and shocks had a great feeling, and the fuel economy is great, even with the A/C on, and the equipment is fine. Changed engine due to flooding, but any other major problem

Look elsewhere
By robert on 06/30/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this VW for quality German engineering. My mistake. It had chronic (monsoon) radio/cd problems which are expensive to repair. Front door windows fell out but were covered by mfr recall. Transmission went out twice (112,000 and 128,000 miles). It cost $4500 and VW America would not help with either transmission. Even the wheel logos are poorly installed and fall out at $40 each. Cup holders completely block access to stereo while in use. Black velour seats tend to hold lots of lint and dirt. Looking forward to selling this car and buying a Japanese or American car.

Fun, but not worth the aggravation
By Sean Maestro on 05/07/07 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2002 golf for 2 years, bought it with 19K on it. The car was fun to drive and I like the interior design. I bought it in FL and took it to TX with me. When all the systems were running (AC, high beams, CD player) and you went to put down the power windows, the radio would shut off. Also, the ABS brake light would randomly come on while I was driving. Took to a local dealer in TX because it was still under warranty. The dealership manager told me I was making up the problem (so I could drive 80 miles every week to have it fixed). It was a pain in the rear. There are fun cars out there with fewer problems - never again.

'02 Volkswagen Golf - Slow
By Radek on 03/16/07 10:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is OK to drive, but it needs more power. The inside lights are nice and the comfort of the ride is not to bad.

My First New Car Treated Me Well
By Claire on 01/21/07 14:13 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf was perfect until after I had put 60,000 miles on it, then things started to fall apart. I had some mechanical trouble that ended up being quite costly. Other than that, I loved the car. It was fun and sporty.

This car helped save my son!
By sandy on 04/27/06 20:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just wanted to let everyone know that this little car saved my son's life! He was doing about 45 mph and ran a stop sign late at night due to fog, he went airborn into a field where he it a 8" round tree. The air bags deployed. The only injury he got was a scrape on is face from the airbag and a passenger had a sore shoulder. The car held up well even though it was totaled...It really didn't look that bad, I expected worse! Thank you Volkswagen for making such a nice, solid car....

Awesome Ride
By great car on 08/08/05 13:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Read all the negative reviews you want: this car is phenomenal for the price range. Sure there are the small problems (windows falling in doors, etc) but the warranty covers them all...buy it used, chances are the problems have already occured and been fixed. The car looks great, the interior feels like a high end model, and it is a blast to drive this lil' guy. The monsoon sound system is great and all the interior goodies are awesome. I bought this with a little over $30,000, and man, it still feels brand new and a good amount of the warranty still remains. Highly recommend.

1 2 3 4 5 next »