2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339 on 05/25/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

I love this car
By Mr Bill on 12/24/08 18:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My dad had a Rabbit diesel and that car provided about a million miles and years of service so I had my eye on this Golf when I first saw it. I got it with 60k miles and it now has 100k miles. It is 6 years old but still looks great, and the brake pads have never been changed! It gets about 36 mpg which is right with what the window sticker says. This is a low maintenance car, all I do is change the oil around 5k miles and drive it.

Love my TDI
By Farfrumpumpin on 12/14/06 08:34 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned a VW Golf GLS TDI for four years and I have to say that it just may turn out to be the best car I ever owned. I'll let you know when it hits the 1/2 million mile mark, that's when I will be 100% sure. It has had no problems at all. It's quick, fun to drive, handles well, and gets great gas mileage, 50+ MPG! I first saw one in Ireland in 2002 while visiting. I was glad t hat I had this car when gas hit $3,00+ per gallon. I live in the northeast and have not had any cold weather problems, and you don't plug them in. They have a glow plug system that works. The car has no smoke and very little engine cabin noise. Buy one!

Golf Diesel
By Walter Remy on 10/18/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a really fun car to drive. It gets great fuel economy and it extremely reliable. This car now has over 50,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. The paint finish and interior stll look like almost new.

Farfrumpumpin VW Golf TDI
By Steve's TDI on 06/16/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned this car for 4 years and I think it just may be the best car I've ever owned. It gets great gas milage, 40/51. It has had no maintenance issues. I just change the oil every 5,000 miles. It's comfortable, responsive, and fun to drive. When this one wears out at 500,000 miles, or maybe a million miles I'll gladly sell it and buy another. I live in upstate NY and winter weather worries with a diesel have never been an issue for me.

Great Golf TDI
By Brian on 12/08/05 18:24 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We tested numerous cars when deciding to purchase my wife's 2001 Volkswagen Golf TDI. After driving hers several times I knew I wanted one just like it. I drive 38 miles to work each day and the car handles great, is quiet, has lots of pep, and I get around around 49 MPG if I keep my foot out of it. I ordered the Monsoon radio package and I have had problems with reception but the sound is spot on. I've been waiting for the 06 Golf TDI but it now looks like June of 06 before we get the new body style. You can see new body style Golfs by Googleing New Golf. Try not to drool on yourself. I have seen one here that was brought back to the states by a guy in the Air Force. Unlike 06 Jetta, the new Golf looks excellent!

Good product, horrible dealer service...
By Trinity on 09/22/05 00:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2002 Volkswagen Golf has been reliable, but the air conditioning has a musty smell on hot days. The dealer can't fix the problem, until the warranty runs out. Then, for money, its fixable! Both headlights have burned out twice. this car is great on highway after 60 mph. The brakes are sof thought. Overall, if gas prices weren't going through the roof, I would trade it for real German car, like BMW 330Ci. the luxury package for $2,000 gets you two decent windows and mats...yes, mats. This car seems to maintain resale value, so I plan on keeping it until it hits 100,000 miles...then, it'll be a gift to a deserving soul, like a college student.

Great Buy Overall
By Keith Miller on 07/19/05 19:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has been great to me so far. I usually get about 44 mpg city and 48 mpg highway (I usually go about 80 with the AC blasting). My only complaints are a few interior pieces peeling (fixed by puting in oem aluminum trim) and a few interior rattles that I hear every once in awhile. The car overall feels like a quality vehicle and I love this car.

Good for the long haul
By miles and smiles on 04/29/05 00:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

After three years and 108,000 miles, I still like it. Short commutes to long trips, it's comfortable (and I'm 6'6") and reliable. Squeaks and rattles have always been from stuff in the car, not the car itself. Nice torquey engine is great in the mountains -- only one hill in Colorado ever made me shift out of 5th to maintain 60 mph (US highway). Average of 42 mpg for that trip -- lots of moutains plus keeping up with traffic on the plains. Can drive for 5 hours straight without getting a sore backside. Great brakes, excellent ride, decent handling, plenty of room (except in the back seat) -- this one's a keeper.

Great Ecomomy Car
By millervez on 01/12/05 13:58 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the first new car I have owned, and for the most part I have been very happy with it. My only complaints are associated with the build quality, and the electronic features. I had 3 warranty repairs (glow plug wireing, airbag wire harness, rear windsheild wiper wireing). Do you see a trend? The Monsoon stereo stopped working, and I had a glow plug go bad. Total spend to date on repairs, just over $200. I still love this car, despite it's little problems. You really can't beat it with anything in its class.