Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, fun to drive, lots of storage room in hatchback. Pretty comfortable for 4 people. Engine Durability is amazing! Get the Manual Transmission, not the Automatic. This HEUI Fuel Injection with VE Fuel Pump is perfect for Biodiesel or a WVO Conversion. If you want AWESOME mileage, get a TDI from 2000-2006. 2007+ models have all of the EPA particulate crap killing the fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic quality is pretty bad overall. VW plastics have a de-lamination issue that they need to fix. I still see the same issue on 2012 VWs. The center armrest is crappy; I had to replace with a cheap Chinese copy of the same crappy quality. VW really should do better with the details.

I love this car
By Mr Bill

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My dad had a Rabbit diesel and that car provided about a million miles and years of service so I had my eye on this Golf when I first saw it. I got it with 60k miles and it now has 100k miles. It is 6 years old but still looks great, and the brake pads have never been changed! It gets about 36 mpg which is right with what the window sticker says. This is a low maintenance car, all I do is change the oil around 5k miles and drive it.

Favorite Features

Everyone comments on the cute styling, it is not garish or tacky like some of the other small cars. The instrument lights are beautiful. It holds it's resale value, I'll never sell it, but it is still worth close to what I paid for it, so I feel like I have got my moneys worth.

Suggested Improvements

The only problems I have had is the battery went bad, and I had to replace the water pump at 80k miles, I had the timing belt replaced at the same time because it was overdue anyways, and one glow plug. The tan fabric gets dirty easily. The doors will freeze shut if you don't keep lube on the seals.

Love my TDI
By Farfrumpumpin

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned a VW Golf GLS TDI for four years and I have to say that it just may turn out to be the best car I ever owned. I'll let you know when it hits the 1/2 million mile mark, that's when I will be 100% sure. It has had no problems at all. It's quick, fun to drive, handles well, and gets great gas mileage, 50+ MPG! I first saw one in Ireland in 2002 while visiting. I was glad t hat I had this car when gas hit $3,00+ per gallon. I live in the northeast and have not had any cold weather problems, and you don't plug them in. They have a glow plug system that works. The car has no smoke and very little engine cabin noise. Buy one!

Favorite Features

Everything is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would make is moving the dual cup holder from in front of the stereo to individual door mounted holders on each side.

Golf Diesel
By Walter Remy

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a really fun car to drive. It gets great fuel economy and it extremely reliable. This car now has over 50,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. The paint finish and interior stll look like almost new.

Favorite Features

The cargo room can be expanded to take on bulky items due to hatchback and lold-down rear seats. The diesel engine offers great torque and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

VW should offer a sports suspension as an option.

Farfrumpumpin VW Golf TDI
By Steve's TDI

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned this car for 4 years and I think it just may be the best car I've ever owned. It gets great gas milage, 40/51. It has had no maintenance issues. I just change the oil every 5,000 miles. It's comfortable, responsive, and fun to drive. When this one wears out at 500,000 miles, or maybe a million miles I'll gladly sell it and buy another. I live in upstate NY and winter weather worries with a diesel have never been an issue for me.