Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, fun to drive, lots of storage room in hatchback. Pretty comfortable for 4 people. Engine Durability is amazing! Get the Manual Transmission, not the Automatic. This HEUI Fuel Injection with VE Fuel Pump is perfect for Biodiesel or a WVO Conversion. If you want AWESOME mileage, get a TDI from 2000-2006. 2007+ models have all of the EPA particulate crap killing the fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic quality is pretty bad overall. VW plastics have a de-lamination issue that they need to fix. I still see the same issue on 2012 VWs. The center armrest is crappy; I had to replace with a cheap Chinese copy of the same crappy quality. VW really should do better with the details.

I love this car
By Mr Bill

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My dad had a Rabbit diesel and that car provided about a million miles and years of service so I had my eye on this Golf when I first saw it. I got it with 60k miles and it now has 100k miles. It is 6 years old but still looks great, and the brake pads have never been changed! It gets about 36 mpg which is right with what the window sticker says. This is a low maintenance car, all I do is change the oil around 5k miles and drive it.

Favorite Features

Everyone comments on the cute styling, it is not garish or tacky like some of the other small cars. The instrument lights are beautiful. It holds it's resale value, I'll never sell it, but it is still worth close to what I paid for it, so I feel like I have got my moneys worth.

Suggested Improvements

The only problems I have had is the battery went bad, and I had to replace the water pump at 80k miles, I had the timing belt replaced at the same time because it was overdue anyways, and one glow plug. The tan fabric gets dirty easily. The doors will freeze shut if you don't keep lube on the seals.

Get one if you can
By mkfarms

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new, after the dealer went high and low trying to find one. It has 175000 miles on it and is by far the lowest-cost joy of a car we have ever owned. Going for 300,000+! Only the two-seat Honda Insight tops it for freeway-driving economy and this has no multi-thousand- dollar battery battery bank overhauls looming in the future!

Favorite Features

The TDI engine technology is the best of the best. Volkswagen should never have "improved" on the A4 engine since the previous versions and the 2004 and later PD versions have not performed as well.

Suggested Improvements

It may appear in the new VW Sportwagen (Jetta in the U.S.) in January '08, but VW desperately needs to get back on the A4-type track with a 6-speed manual at 60+ mpg. Their prototype TDI hybrid at around 100 mpg would really take the cake, overriding the cost of the long-term battery replacements.

Great Car
By Carol

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I like to drive. I have 155k on a late 2002. It is still running and looking great. I have had no major issues with the car; it is he best car I have owned!

Favorite Features

Gotta love the hatchback! 5 speed is great also. How about that MPG.

Suggested Improvements

You should not paint the interior plastic, it peels. Also the headlights cloud over in time

Great car!
By vicky wilcox

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The only negative of this car is that the cup holder is located over the radio! This car exceeded every other expectation. Great gas mileage, very reliable. Peppier than expected for a diesel. Got 120,000 out of the first set of brakes.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive, very tight. The seat are designed to hug the body. Blue dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

Again, placement of cup holders and more cup holders.