2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339 on 05/25/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

I love this car
By Mr Bill on 12/24/08 18:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My dad had a Rabbit diesel and that car provided about a million miles and years of service so I had my eye on this Golf when I first saw it. I got it with 60k miles and it now has 100k miles. It is 6 years old but still looks great, and the brake pads have never been changed! It gets about 36 mpg which is right with what the window sticker says. This is a low maintenance car, all I do is change the oil around 5k miles and drive it.

Get one if you can
By mkfarms on 05/26/07 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new, after the dealer went high and low trying to find one. It has 175000 miles on it and is by far the lowest-cost joy of a car we have ever owned. Going for 300,000+! Only the two-seat Honda Insight tops it for freeway-driving economy and this has no multi-thousand- dollar battery battery bank overhauls looming in the future!

Great Car
By Carol on 05/17/07 05:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I like to drive. I have 155k on a late 2002. It is still running and looking great. I have had no major issues with the car; it is he best car I have owned!

Great car!
By vicky wilcox on 04/26/07 17:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The only negative of this car is that the cup holder is located over the radio! This car exceeded every other expectation. Great gas mileage, very reliable. Peppier than expected for a diesel. Got 120,000 out of the first set of brakes.

2002 Gold TDI
By DieselFan on 03/11/07 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a fun to drive, very economical and reliable car. Its hatchback style converts the trunk into a huge cargo area relative to the size of the vehicle.

Love my TDI
By Farfrumpumpin on 12/14/06 08:34 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned a VW Golf GLS TDI for four years and I have to say that it just may turn out to be the best car I ever owned. I'll let you know when it hits the 1/2 million mile mark, that's when I will be 100% sure. It has had no problems at all. It's quick, fun to drive, handles well, and gets great gas mileage, 50+ MPG! I first saw one in Ireland in 2002 while visiting. I was glad t hat I had this car when gas hit $3,00+ per gallon. I live in the northeast and have not had any cold weather problems, and you don't plug them in. They have a glow plug system that works. The car has no smoke and very little engine cabin noise. Buy one!

Golf Diesel
By Walter Remy on 10/18/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a really fun car to drive. It gets great fuel economy and it extremely reliable. This car now has over 50,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. The paint finish and interior stll look like almost new.

Farfrumpumpin VW Golf TDI
By Steve's TDI on 06/16/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned this car for 4 years and I think it just may be the best car I've ever owned. It gets great gas milage, 40/51. It has had no maintenance issues. I just change the oil every 5,000 miles. It's comfortable, responsive, and fun to drive. When this one wears out at 500,000 miles, or maybe a million miles I'll gladly sell it and buy another. I live in upstate NY and winter weather worries with a diesel have never been an issue for me.

Great Golf TDI
By Brian on 12/08/05 18:24 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We tested numerous cars when deciding to purchase my wife's 2001 Volkswagen Golf TDI. After driving hers several times I knew I wanted one just like it. I drive 38 miles to work each day and the car handles great, is quiet, has lots of pep, and I get around around 49 MPG if I keep my foot out of it. I ordered the Monsoon radio package and I have had problems with reception but the sound is spot on. I've been waiting for the 06 Golf TDI but it now looks like June of 06 before we get the new body style. You can see new body style Golfs by Googleing New Golf. Try not to drool on yourself. I have seen one here that was brought back to the states by a guy in the Air Force. Unlike 06 Jetta, the new Golf looks excellent!

1 2 3 4 5 next »