Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

'02 Volkswagen Golf - Slow
By Radek

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is OK to drive, but it needs more power. The inside lights are nice and the comfort of the ride is not to bad.

Favorite Features

The inside lights.

Suggested Improvements

It needs more power.

My First New Car Treated Me Well
By Claire

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf was perfect until after I had put 60,000 miles on it, then things started to fall apart. I had some mechanical trouble that ended up being quite costly. Other than that, I loved the car. It was fun and sporty.

Favorite Features

It is very quick and fun to drive. I especially loved the blue interior lights and premium stereo.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders cover the front of the stereo controls, which is annoying when trying to change CDs, track, or volume.

Awesome Ride
By great car

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Read all the negative reviews you want: this car is phenomenal for the price range. Sure there are the small problems (windows falling in doors, etc) but the warranty covers them all...buy it used, chances are the problems have already occured and been fixed. The car looks great, the interior feels like a high end model, and it is a blast to drive this lil' guy. The monsoon sound system is great and all the interior goodies are awesome. I bought this with a little over $30,000, and man, it still feels brand new and a good amount of the warranty still remains. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Awesome interior, the best in its class. Fun to drive, tons of features, and unique VW styling. Safety features second to none in its class.

Suggested Improvements

Tight rear legroom, and with the seats up, the trunk isn't very spacious. Can't really fit a set of golf clubs back there without some work.

Good Golf
By Long distence driver

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new for long distance commuting (170 m. one way) and at 3000m it was nearly totaled. The VW dealer put is back together and it has been a great car. It is quick, comfortable economical and reliable. It now has 130,000 miles and is a superb automobile.

Favorite Features

Comfort. Combination of comfort, good (not great) handling, good (not great) economy, good (not great) quickness. VW seemed to make all the right compromises in putting together this car.

Suggested Improvements

The dealers, the dealers, the dealers.... Why are VW dealers to worst new car dealers. Great cars, terrible dealerships. Also, I wish the AWD golf that is available in Europe was here. It would prevent me from buying the otherwise much inferior Impreza.

lemonade anyone?
By disappointed

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What hasn't my VW Golf spent time in the shop for...its terrible lights, the radio died three times (after waiting for for 3 months), the airbag system went...etc, etc, etc...I'm going back to Honda.

Favorite Features

It did well in the snow, I live in Massachusetts.

Suggested Improvements

There's not enough interior room.