Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Good run
By little_eva

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new after 14 great years with a Jetta. This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta but is not as rugged, tho I have hauled more stuff in the Golf and done more city driving. But I have 105K on it and haven't had to do any major repairs except it now needs a timing belt. This car is fun to drive and comfortable as I am short, but it is difficult for passengers with long legs. The latch to allow trunk expansion over folded rear seats broke, which is inconvenient and I broke the antenna off on the excellent sound system which limits its radius - both pricey repairs but work arounds. Good maint from dealer.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Hugs road and responds well. Handles snow pretty well up to 5 inches. Good brakes. Lots of cargo space. Good sound system. Good temp controls. Impossible to lock yourself out. Good one-person car.

Suggested Improvements

Too many unnecessary lightbulbs. Cupholder in way of stereo. Doors always locking themselves. Limited legspace when cargo space expanded - pain to change around.

Poor choice
By dbasler

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it. We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year. It chugged oil with no visible leaks. In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900. It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us. Thank you lady. Put the thing out of its misery.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive though.

Suggested Improvements

In the 2 door the passenger seat tears up the front seat belt cover when lifted.

AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, fun to drive, lots of storage room in hatchback. Pretty comfortable for 4 people. Engine Durability is amazing! Get the Manual Transmission, not the Automatic. This HEUI Fuel Injection with VE Fuel Pump is perfect for Biodiesel or a WVO Conversion. If you want AWESOME mileage, get a TDI from 2000-2006. 2007+ models have all of the EPA particulate crap killing the fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic quality is pretty bad overall. VW plastics have a de-lamination issue that they need to fix. I still see the same issue on 2012 VWs. The center armrest is crappy; I had to replace with a cheap Chinese copy of the same crappy quality. VW really should do better with the details.

VW Golf pros and cons
By achh

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a used 02 golf its safe good engine fun car to drive. I would take it over anything american car. My recommendation to anyone buying vw cars get them brand new. Repairing them once your warranty is exspensive and a pain in the [violative content deleted]. Sensors constantly have to be replaced. Ill be looking to buy a new car. While I like the 2011 jetta tdi the repair cost once the warranty expires will be through the roof because its a turbo diesel engine. Im a pass on vw you get great service from the dealer and they offer loaners if available. But you should for the service cost thats charged. Enough a Enough im getting a honda. Hope this is helpful for anyone buying a vw.

Suggested Improvements

Vw are made in germany the weather is similar to the midwest. Too many eletrical and sensor problems. They dont last long term the way honda and toyota do. Mayby they never will because of all the eletrical components. I had my golf for six years so you could say I got my money worth. But I also put my money into it with repairs. Oh well.

I love this car
By Mr Bill

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My dad had a Rabbit diesel and that car provided about a million miles and years of service so I had my eye on this Golf when I first saw it. I got it with 60k miles and it now has 100k miles. It is 6 years old but still looks great, and the brake pads have never been changed! It gets about 36 mpg which is right with what the window sticker says. This is a low maintenance car, all I do is change the oil around 5k miles and drive it.

Favorite Features

Everyone comments on the cute styling, it is not garish or tacky like some of the other small cars. The instrument lights are beautiful. It holds it's resale value, I'll never sell it, but it is still worth close to what I paid for it, so I feel like I have got my moneys worth.

Suggested Improvements

The only problems I have had is the battery went bad, and I had to replace the water pump at 80k miles, I had the timing belt replaced at the same time because it was overdue anyways, and one glow plug. The tan fabric gets dirty easily. The doors will freeze shut if you don't keep lube on the seals.