2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Good run
By little_eva on 04/26/14 07:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new after 14 great years with a Jetta. This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta but is not as rugged, tho I have hauled more stuff in the Golf and done more city driving. But I have 105K on it and haven't had to do any major repairs except it now needs a timing belt. This car is fun to drive and comfortable as I am short, but it is difficult for passengers with long legs. The latch to allow trunk expansion over folded rear seats broke, which is inconvenient and I broke the antenna off on the excellent sound system which limits its radius - both pricey repairs but work arounds. Good maint from dealer.

Poor choice
By dbasler on 03/25/13 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it. We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year. It chugged oil with no visible leaks. In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900. It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us. Thank you lady. Put the thing out of its misery.

AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339 on 05/25/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes. The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway. Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

VW Golf pros and cons
By achh on 07/26/11 00:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a used 02 golf its safe good engine fun car to drive. I would take it over anything american car. My recommendation to anyone buying vw cars get them brand new. Repairing them once your warranty is exspensive and a pain in the [violative content deleted]. Sensors constantly have to be replaced. Ill be looking to buy a new car. While I like the 2011 jetta tdi the repair cost once the warranty expires will be through the roof because its a turbo diesel engine. Im a pass on vw you get great service from the dealer and they offer loaners if available. But you should for the service cost thats charged. Enough a Enough im getting a honda. Hope this is helpful for anyone buying a vw.

I love this car
By Mr Bill on 12/24/08 18:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My dad had a Rabbit diesel and that car provided about a million miles and years of service so I had my eye on this Golf when I first saw it. I got it with 60k miles and it now has 100k miles. It is 6 years old but still looks great, and the brake pads have never been changed! It gets about 36 mpg which is right with what the window sticker says. This is a low maintenance car, all I do is change the oil around 5k miles and drive it.

Stylish and cheap
By Diego on 07/12/08 16:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I had a great experience using a VW product. The car drives excellent, has a great steering sensation, not so much power but with the 5 speed tranny still gets a good speed. Brakes and shocks had a great feeling, and the fuel economy is great, even with the A/C on, and the equipment is fine. Changed engine due to flooding, but any other major problem

Look elsewhere
By robert on 06/30/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this VW for quality German engineering. My mistake. It had chronic (monsoon) radio/cd problems which are expensive to repair. Front door windows fell out but were covered by mfr recall. Transmission went out twice (112,000 and 128,000 miles). It cost $4500 and VW America would not help with either transmission. Even the wheel logos are poorly installed and fall out at $40 each. Cup holders completely block access to stereo while in use. Black velour seats tend to hold lots of lint and dirt. Looking forward to selling this car and buying a Japanese or American car.

Get one if you can
By mkfarms on 05/26/07 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new, after the dealer went high and low trying to find one. It has 175000 miles on it and is by far the lowest-cost joy of a car we have ever owned. Going for 300,000+! Only the two-seat Honda Insight tops it for freeway-driving economy and this has no multi-thousand- dollar battery battery bank overhauls looming in the future!

Great Car
By Carol on 05/17/07 05:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I like to drive. I have 155k on a late 2002. It is still running and looking great. I have had no major issues with the car; it is he best car I have owned!

Fun, but not worth the aggravation
By Sean Maestro on 05/07/07 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2002 golf for 2 years, bought it with 19K on it. The car was fun to drive and I like the interior design. I bought it in FL and took it to TX with me. When all the systems were running (AC, high beams, CD player) and you went to put down the power windows, the radio would shut off. Also, the ABS brake light would randomly come on while I was driving. Took to a local dealer in TX because it was still under warranty. The dealership manager told me I was making up the problem (so I could drive 80 miles every week to have it fixed). It was a pain in the rear. There are fun cars out there with fewer problems - never again.