2001 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Not Buying VW Again

2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Not Buying VW Again
By orchid on

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

The Golf is easy to maneuver and offers great visibility. The hatchback is also very convenient. I also like the safety features (i.e., so many airbags).

The faulty brake light switch keeps failing! Also, it would be nice if the cupholder was redesigned.