Used 2001 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

TURBO RELIABLITY?
By TURBOS!

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have a turbo gls golf and i have been in and out of the dealership. my car for some reason does not reach 8000 RPM my friend has a RX-8 and he reaches 9000 RPM. There is def. something wrong. when i drive i always see smoke coming from my car i drive 100 miles to work everyday and i need a reliable car i do my oil change every 3 months and it should be a good car from wheat my friends say. i need a more reliable car.

Favorite Features

The rear view mirror and side view mirror are useful

Suggested Improvements

find a way to make turbo gls golfs reliable

Lemon Alert!
By MYREDGOLF

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf is a fun car BUT maintenance is a big problem. So far over $4,000.00 dollars has been spent on warranty work! I am lucky it has all been covered by VW, even after the warrenty has expired. This is a fun car, but plan to spend a lot of time at the dealer getting things fixed.

Favorite Features

This is a well designed car with more room than you think. It is a lot of fun to drive, and gets 32 m.p.g. FUN!

Suggested Improvements

This car has a lot of problems with repairs. I have owned many VWs and this probably my last. This car is not as well made as it appears. On top of the car breaking down all of the time, there have been numerous small ptoblems.

reliable & fun
By jordi

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my 4th VW. great city (small enough) and highspeed-highway car (tracks great; once up to speed you can stay at high speeds for extended periods). large when compared to older golfs. only a few problems along the way - not sure if this is because it's one of the few german built golfs. manual windows helped me avoid regulator problems and recall. online sale was hassle free.

Favorite Features

storage space. seats. solid interior fit & finish. solid & proven engine.

Suggested Improvements

sunroof option would have been great. more power would have been nicer. diesel option would have been nice.

great family / sporty car
By drtraw

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This golf is a sporty, fun car and also handles family needs. Although it is not huge, it holds up to four people w/good headroom and a large hatch area. We often choose it for family road trips over my wife's midsize SUV. The turbo engine is great, easily rivals honda for vibration free power and has much better torque for city driving. I thought the base suspension was comfortable but too soft so I switched out the springs and shocks for GTI-style handling. Also, the interior is very well done for a car in this price range and it is very quiet on the highway.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, good mileage without sacrificing performance.

Suggested Improvements

Two recalls were inconvenient, but fixed at no charge. base suspension too soft.

My golf
By Mason Hickmann

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE!!!!!!!! my golf, it takes anything or anybody anywhere, no questions asked. its a little packmule, its been all over america with a carfull of people and luggage and has never complained or given me any reason to doubt it. build quality is great, interior is fantastically designed, all my friends always want to take the golf anywhere we go, and i wouldnt have it any other way

Favorite Features

fold down flat seats, great cup holders, monsoon stereo, all the power features (window down with key, features stay on when key is removed from ignition, etc)

Suggested Improvements

What VW really needs to do is make a 4- door GTI, but the new golf is almost here with all the improvments