2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
It's a TEN
By Stephen Powers on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great build quality and solid as a rock. Smooth and rapid acceleration, often outpacing other gasoline engines as I enter the freeway. Zero vibration and little noice. Cruising on the interstate, you can't even hear the engine! I generally cruise effortlessly at 85- 90 MPH. I commute in SoCal and do 100+ miles per day, so appreciate the the fuel economy. But my former car was an Audi, so I didn't want to feel like I was going down *too* far on the foodchain. This car is fun to drive, highly economical, but not an *economy* (cheap) car.

The perfect hatch
By jeffjj on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Other car companies should take note in the golf. The only flaw is its suspension (tends to be a bit soft) but once that is modified it becomes a beast. They sell aftermarket computer chips which can increase the boost to incredible levels! 215hp/245ft torque out of this tiny monster. All that with class, a interior that only BMW can rival, and great german engineering.

Great VW
By perfect vw on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my vw gls golf in jan 2002 and it has been a wonderful car.volkswagens are great this is my 4th golf i love them . there is just a couple of items i want to address and they are as followed my check engine light has come on a total of 14 times in two years and the dealer i take it to cannot tell me what is wrong also my airbag light has come on a total of 7 times and the dealer cannot tell me what is wrong w/ that either. i would just like for the dealer to be able to give me some answers.

Fun Ride!!!!!
By Jan K. on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Besides the power window failure and busting out the driver side window and getting glass all over the place.... i love it!!! it's cute!

Mileage champ and fun to drive!
By Torlin on 03/17/02 22:32 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the best car I have owned! The diesel is quick and robust. Drive it on the highway and push it to keep up with the semi's and still get 55mpg!! The hatch is a great design, holds my bike for rides. Little details in this base model are great- heated mirrors, excellent stereo, adjustable steering, etc, etc. Get one of these, you'll love it!

2001 Golf GLS
By Kostas on 03/10/02 23:26 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

3 times the engine stopped running while driving. Engine losses power. Compression problem repaired at 10,000 miles. Hatch hits the pumper paint is gone on point of contact. Drivers seat makes funny noises, from inside when your lay on the headrest.

Golf 1.8T
By niko on 03/03/02 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best car ever owned. Fun to drive, performant, quality interior, great stereo (upgrade option).

Good car, bad service.
By Huss on 02/27/02 03:27 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had niggling problems inititally which were handled extremely poorly by my local VW dealer, Neftin VW Thousand Oaks. Once fixed (eventually....) no more problems. They all happened within the first 200o miles, now I have put on another trouble-free 17000 miles.