2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
VW Golf 1.8 Turbo (2001)
By org on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Golf 1.8T is pure pleasure to drive! It's the best car I have ever owned. It's stylish, flexible, roomy, powerful, very responsive and great fun to drive with! It might be a bit more expensive than other cars in this class but the money is definitly worth it!!!

Selling this POS
By poor_reliability on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many quality issues to list. Excessive rear brake wear, sunroof malfunction, airbag came loose from steering wheel - 3times, left directional fell out of quarter panel, window stripping separated, mass air flow sensor replaced, turn signal lamp contacts poor quality.

I still like car after 2 yrs
By TDI Randy on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great fuel economy, excelent torque, comfortable & upscale interior (the best seats ever). My only beef is with the 'Buick' ride on the TDI suspension. Why not offer the GTI suspension on this car. Too soft for spirited driving. There have been 2 unscheduled dealer visits, a loose hubcap emblem (replaced) and a stone wedged between speedsensor (front wheel) and rotor. Front grille and headlight styling needs freshened up (boring).

Junk in the Trunk
By Muligan on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

People... Save yourselves! I went with a VW Golf because of their historically good track record. Let me tell you, history did not repeat itself here. The dealership I purchased the Golf from forgot to install a 'block heater' (which is required for our cold winters). I have had the radio replaced twice, difficulties with the windshield wipers hoses, passenger window falls, heater fan replaced, and most recently the airbag indicator light has malfunctioned. Not only has the car been 'a piece' but the dealership I have had to deal with has been very difficult. I think that car sales are boosted by a clever marketting scheme.

The turbo is worth it.
By blueone on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is really great to drive- especially when passing people. The turbo makes the car fun, but the interior layout (the back seats fold down flat to double trunk space) makes it practical. The back seat doesn't have a lot of leg room, but for a semi-compact car it's not bad. I've heard several people complain of the cloth seats pilling, but I haven't really had any problems. My dealership dealt w/the problems I've had (a radio that made the alarm randomly go off & a bad heated mirror) quickly & w/o any hassles. The factory cd changer is ridiculous. It's much cheaper & as simple to buy from somewhere else & either do it yourself, or get it installed.

Massive Sensor Flaw
By Jason Wallace on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Good car, fun to drive and great feul economy but the mass air flow sensor has broken four times in two years. This causes the car to lose about 75% of it's power. Imagine going 70mph on the highway and suddenly dropping down to 30mph. Very annoying, potentially very dangerous, and $350.00 to fix. I'm getting rid of the car because of this flaw.

EXCELLENT
By JBTKD on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I FIRST LIKED THECAR BECAUSE OF LOOKS AND ONCE I DROVE I WAS IN LOVE.

Love the Golf
By Rickss77 on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle. Fun to drive and great on gas. Looking forward to moving up to another VW.

No Contest
By Wisconsin- on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We looked at Civics,Corollas,Protoges and then we found a car worth driving. We didn't feel like the Golf GLS was an economy car. It's interior is far superior, options are plentiful, and looks are stylish. The ride is great, handling is agile, the inside mimicks a Passat, and for about $14400 we got moonroof, premium stereo,ABS, alloy wheels, heated seats, 4.9% and a 2yr/24000.

Piece Of Crap
By AELinuxGuy on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been the worst car I have ever owned! In 30,000 miles the airbag indicator went bad, car alarm stopped working, oxygen sensor went bad twice, rear winshield washer stopped working, and both windows fell down inside of the door (happened twice on passenger side). Avoid VW like the plague.