Used 2001 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

No more Volkswagen
By sgtmak

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is fun but it came with a lot of problems. The air bag warning light just came on the second time sine we bought the car, and fortunately it was still under warranty until the end of this month (April, 05). In addition, the check engine light also came on times few times. We have to pay about $60 to the dealership for diagnostic every times those lights came on. I guess I know the reason why the service department at the local VW dealership opens until midnight.

Favorite Features

The carís handling and brakes are good.

Suggested Improvements

It would be great if the car would be more reliable.

Volkswagen Owner for Life!
By Amber

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely LOVE this car. It was my first VW, and it has been great! There was a recall on the window motor and they kept breaking which was a pain, but overall that was my only problem!

Favorite Features

LOVE the seat warmers in the winter! I also like the adjustable steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Use a different cloth on the interior because the velour get lint all over it and it is a pain to clean it.

My first VW
By Gtoast

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty nifty car compared to the Corolla I came out of. Bought used certified. I think the dealership didn't actually do the inspections they were supposed to: I found most of the problems myself but they were all fixed under the warranty. Anyways, great little car with lots of umph in 5th at hwy speeds, fantastic maneuverability, great traction in the snow. A few squeaks and rattles that are irritating, but oh well. I wish the electronics were easier to set for individuals though.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, size, output. Lots of storage room.

Suggested Improvements

Make the electronic features changeable without the VAGCom (ie dealership) to turn off the horn when locking, autolock feature above 10 mph etc.

Great mileage and fun
By TomTDI

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The stock intecooler is a wee bit small and had saturated with heat, I live in Southern California, so I replaced it with an ABD aftermarket unit and have had great results. changed to a K & N filter and now the performance is better too. The automatic I have is good, but the stick version is really much more fun. Never has smoked and the other than the known recall issues the car has been very reliable overall but not as good as say a toyota. I will buy another one again, once they are available again in california in 2006.

Favorite Features

The driveability is great, slow to get going but has the turbo boost to make it roll nice at highway speeds and beyond :).

Suggested Improvements

More base power for the TDI before (90 HP is adequate, but not too fun) turbo booost!

good stuff
By aaron8986

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

great car. Stealthy sleeper look but unheralded performance. Great interior, great ergonomics. One of the reasons i like german cars so much. Turbo...who could argue with it?

Favorite Features

(read: turbo)

Suggested Improvements

should have had the 180hp version in 2002 like its GTI counterpart