2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Don't get any Volkswagen
By No more Volkswagen on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this Golf because I liked it's interior and exterior style and some fancy features. I had real fun for the first year. But everything turned bad in the second year. The motor of my driver side window broke one day. I could not roll my window up. The window even fell down completly after half hour of the incident. When I turned to car to the dealer, they knew the problem and fixed both sides. But why don't they recall all cars to fix the problem. The same problem also finds in my friend's AUDI A4 and GTI. Within a months, I got two recall letters from dealer regarding fuel coil problem and the child seat thing. Too many little problems.

VW Golf 1.8 Turbo (2001)
By org on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Golf 1.8T is pure pleasure to drive! It's the best car I have ever owned. It's stylish, flexible, roomy, powerful, very responsive and great fun to drive with! It might be a bit more expensive than other cars in this class but the money is definitly worth it!!!

Selling this POS
By poor_reliability on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had too many quality issues to list. Excessive rear brake wear, sunroof malfunction, airbag came loose from steering wheel - 3times, left directional fell out of quarter panel, window stripping separated, mass air flow sensor replaced, turn signal lamp contacts poor quality.

Junk in the Trunk
By Muligan on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

People... Save yourselves! I went with a VW Golf because of their historically good track record. Let me tell you, history did not repeat itself here. The dealership I purchased the Golf from forgot to install a 'block heater' (which is required for our cold winters). I have had the radio replaced twice, difficulties with the windshield wipers hoses, passenger window falls, heater fan replaced, and most recently the airbag indicator light has malfunctioned. Not only has the car been 'a piece' but the dealership I have had to deal with has been very difficult. I think that car sales are boosted by a clever marketting scheme.

The turbo is worth it.
By blueone on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is really great to drive- especially when passing people. The turbo makes the car fun, but the interior layout (the back seats fold down flat to double trunk space) makes it practical. The back seat doesn't have a lot of leg room, but for a semi-compact car it's not bad. I've heard several people complain of the cloth seats pilling, but I haven't really had any problems. My dealership dealt w/the problems I've had (a radio that made the alarm randomly go off & a bad heated mirror) quickly & w/o any hassles. The factory cd changer is ridiculous. It's much cheaper & as simple to buy from somewhere else & either do it yourself, or get it installed.

EXCELLENT
By JBTKD on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I FIRST LIKED THECAR BECAUSE OF LOOKS AND ONCE I DROVE I WAS IN LOVE.

Love the Golf
By Rickss77 on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle. Fun to drive and great on gas. Looking forward to moving up to another VW.

No Contest
By Wisconsin- on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We looked at Civics,Corollas,Protoges and then we found a car worth driving. We didn't feel like the Golf GLS was an economy car. It's interior is far superior, options are plentiful, and looks are stylish. The ride is great, handling is agile, the inside mimicks a Passat, and for about $14400 we got moonroof, premium stereo,ABS, alloy wheels, heated seats, 4.9% and a 2yr/24000.

The perfect hatch
By jeffjj on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Other car companies should take note in the golf. The only flaw is its suspension (tends to be a bit soft) but once that is modified it becomes a beast. They sell aftermarket computer chips which can increase the boost to incredible levels! 215hp/245ft torque out of this tiny monster. All that with class, a interior that only BMW can rival, and great german engineering.

Great VW
By perfect vw on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my vw gls golf in jan 2002 and it has been a wonderful car.volkswagens are great this is my 4th golf i love them . there is just a couple of items i want to address and they are as followed my check engine light has come on a total of 14 times in two years and the dealer i take it to cannot tell me what is wrong also my airbag light has come on a total of 7 times and the dealer cannot tell me what is wrong w/ that either. i would just like for the dealer to be able to give me some answers.