2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
I will have a VW TDI from here on out!
By rhettwheeler on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My family is a Toyota family. I collect old Landcruisers. I have been a finance and sales manager in the car business for 6 years. This is the best driving, handling, and most efficient car Ive ever been in! I will allways have one in the family from now on!! What a Great Purchase!!

Almost a great car...
By lowman99 on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a really good car, except for some occasional problems. Within the 3 years I have owned it, the air conditioning has failed (a few times), one of the CV boots cracked, and oil seal ruptured, and the driver side power window mechanism broke. All of these items were fixed under warranty (for free). Get the extended warranty if you buy this car!

Great car for commuting
By Harold J on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The golf is great for commuting but not for transporting more than 3 people. when 4 or 5 people are in the car it gets kind of sluggish. but for driving to work, home, shopping and a little roadtrip its great. It comes off the corners well but will handle a lot better with performance tires. The manual windows are great since my buddies auto window regulators keep breaking on his 2002 gti. check up on the window regulators they are notorious for failling but i think VWOA had a recall out on it now but you may want to check it out to make sure

buyer beware!!!
By CLenney on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start? My first problem occurred at 24,300 miles...just over the 24,000 mile warranty (how convenient). After shelling out a mere $650, I was confident that I wouldn't experience anymore problems. I was wrong. I sunk another $1300 into my lemon of a car at only 35,000 miles. A few months after purchasing my car (which had only 7000 miles on it at the time), I had my sunroof motor replaced (after driving around with a garbage bag flapping in my face). I also had the pleasure of experiencing this with my passenger side window!! Needless to say, I am looking forward to picking up my 2000 Toyota Camry XLE tomorrow.

Good car overall!
By imafishinnut on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the car in general. It is really fun to drive and has great fuel economy (average 48 mpg city and 54 mpg highway). Excellent power for a four cylinder. Only have encountered on problem so far -- faulty window mechanism for power windows. Driver side window fell down into door and wouldn't come back up. Dealer fixed both windows simultaneously and indicated that it was a problem with the pulley design.

TDI Golf
By XJScott on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Compared to other compact cars (Civic, Focus, Corolla) the Golf is much more fun to drive, albeit for a premium price. I'm 6'2" yet fit very well due to highly adjustable seats, although sitting in the rear seats behind me would be impossible. Hatchback design provides extra flexibility when cargo hauling is required. Build-quality, although Brazilian, is solid and paint looks brand new after 2.5 years. Cloth seats are hair magnets, though, and I carry a lint roller in the car at all times. I'd look at leather next time.

Wonderful
By Siu on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

the best car you can get with this price. Excellent design detail. Solid engine, excellent performance.

Perfect car for me
By cjo4 on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect car for a recent college grad. Great build quality to shame a Merc, luxurious ride, fun to drive, all the safety bits (8 airbags, disc brakes w/ABS, etc), nicely equipped, and a sense of a car costing $10k more. More than 2 yrs on, and ppl still give me looks as if it were an Audi (which it feels like). Has been dead reliable, always starts (even in mid NE winter), and the size and space of hatch is amazing. Pity my color is no longer offered-bright green-cause it makes it look so upscale. Love the looks, love the price (paid less than $15k), and love the fuel econ (+30mpg).

My VW Lemon...
By thiscarstinks on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is handsdown the single worst investment of my life. I have had SEVERAL headlight replaced before finding out (after the warranty expired) that the housing was bad. I have had my mass airflow sensor replaced (in hopes that it would end the shaking and stalling that occurred at least twice a day), and I have recently encountered transmission problems, that my dealer isn't helping with. Bottom line: I have pumped thousands of dollars into this car and I am selling it so as to avoid sinking any more of my hard-earned cash into this demon spawn.

Don't get any Volkswagen
By No more Volkswagen on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this Golf because I liked it's interior and exterior style and some fancy features. I had real fun for the first year. But everything turned bad in the second year. The motor of my driver side window broke one day. I could not roll my window up. The window even fell down completly after half hour of the incident. When I turned to car to the dealer, they knew the problem and fixed both sides. But why don't they recall all cars to fix the problem. The same problem also finds in my friend's AUDI A4 and GTI. Within a months, I got two recall letters from dealer regarding fuel coil problem and the child seat thing. Too many little problems.