2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
No more Volkswagen
By sgtmak on 04/15/05 11:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is fun but it came with a lot of problems. The air bag warning light just came on the second time sine we bought the car, and fortunately it was still under warranty until the end of this month (April, 05). In addition, the check engine light also came on times few times. We have to pay about $60 to the dealership for diagnostic every times those lights came on. I guess I know the reason why the service department at the local VW dealership opens until midnight.

Volkswagen Owner for Life!
By Amber on 04/05/05 23:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely LOVE this car. It was my first VW, and it has been great! There was a recall on the window motor and they kept breaking which was a pain, but overall that was my only problem!

My first VW
By Gtoast on 12/21/04 12:29 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty nifty car compared to the Corolla I came out of. Bought used certified. I think the dealership didn't actually do the inspections they were supposed to: I found most of the problems myself but they were all fixed under the warranty. Anyways, great little car with lots of umph in 5th at hwy speeds, fantastic maneuverability, great traction in the snow. A few squeaks and rattles that are irritating, but oh well. I wish the electronics were easier to set for individuals though.

Great mileage and fun
By TomTDI on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The stock intecooler is a wee bit small and had saturated with heat, I live in Southern California, so I replaced it with an ABD aftermarket unit and have had great results. changed to a K & N filter and now the performance is better too. The automatic I have is good, but the stick version is really much more fun. Never has smoked and the other than the known recall issues the car has been very reliable overall but not as good as say a toyota. I will buy another one again, once they are available again in california in 2006.

good stuff
By aaron8986 on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

great car. Stealthy sleeper look but unheralded performance. Great interior, great ergonomics. One of the reasons i like german cars so much. Turbo...who could argue with it?

TURBO RELIABLITY?
By TURBOS! on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have a turbo gls golf and i have been in and out of the dealership. my car for some reason does not reach 8000 RPM my friend has a RX-8 and he reaches 9000 RPM. There is def. something wrong. when i drive i always see smoke coming from my car i drive 100 miles to work everyday and i need a reliable car i do my oil change every 3 months and it should be a good car from wheat my friends say. i need a more reliable car.

Lemon Alert!
By MYREDGOLF on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf is a fun car BUT maintenance is a big problem. So far over $4,000.00 dollars has been spent on warranty work! I am lucky it has all been covered by VW, even after the warrenty has expired. This is a fun car, but plan to spend a lot of time at the dealer getting things fixed.

reliable & fun
By jordi on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my 4th VW. great city (small enough) and highspeed-highway car (tracks great; once up to speed you can stay at high speeds for extended periods). large when compared to older golfs. only a few problems along the way - not sure if this is because it's one of the few german built golfs. manual windows helped me avoid regulator problems and recall. online sale was hassle free.

great family / sporty car
By drtraw on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This golf is a sporty, fun car and also handles family needs. Although it is not huge, it holds up to four people w/good headroom and a large hatch area. We often choose it for family road trips over my wife's midsize SUV. The turbo engine is great, easily rivals honda for vibration free power and has much better torque for city driving. I thought the base suspension was comfortable but too soft so I switched out the springs and shocks for GTI-style handling. Also, the interior is very well done for a car in this price range and it is very quiet on the highway.

My golf
By Mason Hickmann on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE!!!!!!!! my golf, it takes anything or anybody anywhere, no questions asked. its a little packmule, its been all over america with a carfull of people and luggage and has never complained or given me any reason to doubt it. build quality is great, interior is fantastically designed, all my friends always want to take the golf anywhere we go, and i wouldnt have it any other way