Used 2001 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fun and Practical
By Bris

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Golf is a fun and practical car built for everyday driving. The 1.8T engine is peppy and delivers plenty of passing power while averaging around 28 mpg. Parking is easy and the VW can carry lots of luggage for its size. The car is probably less reliable than a Honda, but I haven't had too many problems. In the last 18 months, I have had few repairs. I replaced a brake light switch and headlight bulb. The driver's window fell down and was fixed at no charge (recall item). The door switch that controls the interior lights doesn't fully work, but I still have interior lights so I haven't fixed it. All other maintenance has been routine such as oil changes. I recommend this car.

The 1.8T engine is solid. It gets good fuel economy. I love the blue dash lights. The 5 speed manual transmission is good. It is a fun car.

It needs a better radio.

Awsome!
By hybrid killer

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is awesome. It's fun to drive and reliable. This is the best economy car I have ever driven.

The engine, interior, and quality craftsmanship.

None

Sweet Vehicle
By PIMPAUL

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It is very fast. Only small things have gone wrong (Brake lights, etc). They were easy fixes. Actually, the plastic junk seems to break easy too. My dome light switch broke off. Anyways, this car looks amazing with some good rims and tinted windows. I've had Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords, but my next car will definitely be a VW. I love 'em.

The horsepower, overall look and design, and how it is extremely cheep to upgrade.

Better craftsmanship with the plastic dome light switch!

Not Buying VW Again
By orchid

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

The Golf is easy to maneuver and offers great visibility. The hatchback is also very convenient. I also like the safety features (i.e., so many airbags).

The faulty brake light switch keeps failing! Also, it would be nice if the cupholder was redesigned.

VW Golf
By Allen

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Golf gets great fuel economy and has very comfortable seats. I love driving it everyday and do not get bored with it. The only interior item I would have liked to have was an armrest. It would have been better with a little more power as well. I had only a few problems with it such as, the a/c compressor needed to be replaced, a spring for the airbag in the steering wheel, and the airbag in the driver's seat. Those would have been very expensive without the extended warranty.

The interior layout, how the car is smartly designed, and its great fuel economy.

It needs 30 more horsepower, an armrest, and lower rpm in the fifth gear (at 60 MPH RPM was at 3,000). It would have been better fuel economy if it were lower.