2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Suspect Ride
By Former VW Fan on 10/30/07 19:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car is somewhat fun to drive, it has been anything but reliable. On third set of brakes after 65000 miles. Several warranty repairs and recall work done in 6 years. Fuel economy has been livable but should be better for such a small car. These cars do not deal with cold weather very well. On third set of weather seals around doors and their still ripped and warranty is up and not their problem anymore. Ice gets trapped in door hinges. Electrical problems as well. Poorly designed car.

VW Golf To Feel
By nihan on 01/21/06 10:35 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think the VW Golf is the best compact model in its class. Maybe the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla are better than the Golf at a few points like fuel economy and build quality, but the Golf is much better in driving, gearing and performance.

Third VW
By VW Owner on 10/05/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Volkswagen and I love the little things you get with a VW. these nice touches include the spring loaded grab handles, soft to the touch dash boards, turn signal side indicators, sunroofs with a dial, 8 speaker sound systems, upscale dash lighting, heated seats, cool key, etc etc..

Good Car, but not the best.
By willelm on 08/14/05 20:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife lovesthe VW Golf, which is good because I just sort of like it. It's the perfect size for her and she loves the way it drives, but I wish that we had gotten the turbo. Some things seem very weak, even fragile, like the door handles and cup holders. The important things though are solid, like the steering and brakes.

Buy A Warranty and have fun
By Look Out on 06/18/05 23:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In two years the car has been towed four times due to "electrical failure"...like a brake light goes out. AC failed twice, car looses power and stalls at 60 miles an hour. BUY THE WARRANTY....Have another car available to drive when they have to order parts...could be days for repair.Between repairs it is fun to drive....Electrical and fuel issues are many at 50k miles

2001 2.0 Golf-4 Euro Spec
By Palinor on 06/10/05 03:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I got lucky, but bought my Golf for about $13k. 1-owner, highly maintained. It had 60500 kilometers on it (bought 2-yr warranty). Standard 5- sp, winter package, full climate control, ESP, powered sunroof, front/rear foglights, AM/FM/CD/Tape* (*removed radio/CD player and installed premium integrated system), bought deep housing to replace CD player-slot so I can drink coffee now and still play CD's I have driven from Bavaria to Sweden and all over Germany. Avg speed 190kph on autobahn, 100kph secondary roads and 50kph city. Avg 16km/L or about 37mpg hwy, 19-20km/L city Front wheel drive makes winter travel easy (snow/sleet/rain) Great visibility, sweet suspension/handling

No more Volkswagen
By sgtmak on 04/15/05 11:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is fun but it came with a lot of problems. The air bag warning light just came on the second time sine we bought the car, and fortunately it was still under warranty until the end of this month (April, 05). In addition, the check engine light also came on times few times. We have to pay about $60 to the dealership for diagnostic every times those lights came on. I guess I know the reason why the service department at the local VW dealership opens until midnight.

Volkswagen Owner for Life!
By Amber on 04/05/05 23:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely LOVE this car. It was my first VW, and it has been great! There was a recall on the window motor and they kept breaking which was a pain, but overall that was my only problem!

My first VW
By Gtoast on 12/21/04 12:29 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty nifty car compared to the Corolla I came out of. Bought used certified. I think the dealership didn't actually do the inspections they were supposed to: I found most of the problems myself but they were all fixed under the warranty. Anyways, great little car with lots of umph in 5th at hwy speeds, fantastic maneuverability, great traction in the snow. A few squeaks and rattles that are irritating, but oh well. I wish the electronics were easier to set for individuals though.

My golf
By Mason Hickmann on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE!!!!!!!! my golf, it takes anything or anybody anywhere, no questions asked. its a little packmule, its been all over america with a carfull of people and luggage and has never complained or given me any reason to doubt it. build quality is great, interior is fantastically designed, all my friends always want to take the golf anywhere we go, and i wouldnt have it any other way