2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

2001 Golf Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
lots of miles, lots of fun
By reclab1

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2003 with approx. 28,000 miles on it and I just turned 218,450. I would have to say it has been a good experience overall. Most of the maint work has been done with a local VW independent garage and they really know their stuff. I usually get 29 to 33 MPG depending on the season. (Mi. resident) Most of my repair work has been related to front suspension because of Mi. bad winter roads. I still have the original clutch and exhaust system, and have used synthetic oil with oil changes between 6-10,000 miles. I never owned a car for this long, but I find it's a blast to drive. I'll be looking for a good deal on a 4door GTI for my next ride.

Favorite Features

1.8T and smmoth 5 speed. Very good MPG. Size and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders block CD use.

110,000 Miles and still no issues
By dmateja

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new 7 years ago and racked up 110,000 miles. I had a couple minor sensor issues within the first year, and were all covered under the warrenty. Since that first year no major issues.

Favorite Features

Extremely large cargo space. I can fit almost as much in the Golf as my brother can fit in his Ford Explorer SUV. Turbo is great! Cool interior design and dash board lights.

Suggested Improvements

The clips that hold the window were made out of plastic and have both broken. A recall was given, but only if it breaks within the first 70,000. Mine broke after 100,000. Only problem I've ever had. Gas mileage really drops off after a few year too. I get only about ~24 mpg in heavy local traffic.

Fun and Practical
By Bris

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Golf is a fun and practical car built for everyday driving. The 1.8T engine is peppy and delivers plenty of passing power while averaging around 28 mpg. Parking is easy and the VW can carry lots of luggage for its size. The car is probably less reliable than a Honda, but I haven't had too many problems. In the last 18 months, I have had few repairs. I replaced a brake light switch and headlight bulb. The driver's window fell down and was fixed at no charge (recall item). The door switch that controls the interior lights doesn't fully work, but I still have interior lights so I haven't fixed it. All other maintenance has been routine such as oil changes. I recommend this car.

Favorite Features

The 1.8T engine is solid. It gets good fuel economy. I love the blue dash lights. The 5 speed manual transmission is good. It is a fun car.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a better radio.

Sweet Vehicle
By PIMPAUL

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It is very fast. Only small things have gone wrong (Brake lights, etc). They were easy fixes. Actually, the plastic junk seems to break easy too. My dome light switch broke off. Anyways, this car looks amazing with some good rims and tinted windows. I've had Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords, but my next car will definitely be a VW. I love 'em.

Favorite Features

The horsepower, overall look and design, and how it is extremely cheep to upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

Better craftsmanship with the plastic dome light switch!

Great car
By H2oVento

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 4 door 1.8T Golf is a great sleeper. It's fun to drive and hauls a lot of stuff. It's one of the best cars I have owned. It has had no major problems in over 60,000 miles of service. If you can find one, buy it. The 4-door 1.8T was only made between late 2000 and early 2001.

Favorite Features

The turbo!

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better factory suspension.

Average with pretense
By Michael

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Volkswagen Golf is average overall, with a below average electrical system and well designed, but a poorly built engine. Given the multitude of small (window motor, sunroof malfunctions) and not very small (side airbag misfire, engine sensors malfunction, 80,000 mile timing belt wear-off) defects, you are better served by getting a Lexus or a Mazda.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of components.

good stuff
By aaron8986

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

great car. Stealthy sleeper look but unheralded performance. Great interior, great ergonomics. One of the reasons i like german cars so much. Turbo...who could argue with it?

Favorite Features

(read: turbo)

Suggested Improvements

should have had the 180hp version in 2002 like its GTI counterpart

TURBO RELIABLITY?
By TURBOS!

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have a turbo gls golf and i have been in and out of the dealership. my car for some reason does not reach 8000 RPM my friend has a RX-8 and he reaches 9000 RPM. There is def. something wrong. when i drive i always see smoke coming from my car i drive 100 miles to work everyday and i need a reliable car i do my oil change every 3 months and it should be a good car from wheat my friends say. i need a more reliable car.

Favorite Features

The rear view mirror and side view mirror are useful

Suggested Improvements

find a way to make turbo gls golfs reliable

great family / sporty car
By drtraw

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This golf is a sporty, fun car and also handles family needs. Although it is not huge, it holds up to four people w/good headroom and a large hatch area. We often choose it for family road trips over my wife's midsize SUV. The turbo engine is great, easily rivals honda for vibration free power and has much better torque for city driving. I thought the base suspension was comfortable but too soft so I switched out the springs and shocks for GTI-style handling. Also, the interior is very well done for a car in this price range and it is very quiet on the highway.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, good mileage without sacrificing performance.

Suggested Improvements

Two recalls were inconvenient, but fixed at no charge. base suspension too soft.

Wonderful
By Siu

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

the best car you can get with this price. Excellent design detail. Solid engine, excellent performance.

Favorite Features

The manual shift, it is so precise and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Should keep the turbo engine to 180hp as an option.