2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
lots of miles, lots of fun
By reclab1 on 06/03/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2003 with approx. 28,000 miles on it and I just turned 218,450. I would have to say it has been a good experience overall. Most of the maint work has been done with a local VW independent garage and they really know their stuff. I usually get 29 to 33 MPG depending on the season. (Mi. resident) Most of my repair work has been related to front suspension because of Mi. bad winter roads. I still have the original clutch and exhaust system, and have used synthetic oil with oil changes between 6-10,000 miles. I never owned a car for this long, but I find it's a blast to drive. I'll be looking for a good deal on a 4door GTI for my next ride.

110,000 Miles and still no issues
By dmateja on 08/24/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new 7 years ago and racked up 110,000 miles. I had a couple minor sensor issues within the first year, and were all covered under the warrenty. Since that first year no major issues.

Fun and Practical
By Bris on 02/02/07 13:41 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Golf is a fun and practical car built for everyday driving. The 1.8T engine is peppy and delivers plenty of passing power while averaging around 28 mpg. Parking is easy and the VW can carry lots of luggage for its size. The car is probably less reliable than a Honda, but I haven't had too many problems. In the last 18 months, I have had few repairs. I replaced a brake light switch and headlight bulb. The driver's window fell down and was fixed at no charge (recall item). The door switch that controls the interior lights doesn't fully work, but I still have interior lights so I haven't fixed it. All other maintenance has been routine such as oil changes. I recommend this car.

Sweet Vehicle
By PIMPAUL on 11/15/06 18:56 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It is very fast. Only small things have gone wrong (Brake lights, etc). They were easy fixes. Actually, the plastic junk seems to break easy too. My dome light switch broke off. Anyways, this car looks amazing with some good rims and tinted windows. I've had Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords, but my next car will definitely be a VW. I love 'em.

Great car
By H2oVento on 05/22/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 4 door 1.8T Golf is a great sleeper. It's fun to drive and hauls a lot of stuff. It's one of the best cars I have owned. It has had no major problems in over 60,000 miles of service. If you can find one, buy it. The 4-door 1.8T was only made between late 2000 and early 2001.

Average with pretense
By Michael on 12/14/05 02:03 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Volkswagen Golf is average overall, with a below average electrical system and well designed, but a poorly built engine. Given the multitude of small (window motor, sunroof malfunctions) and not very small (side airbag misfire, engine sensors malfunction, 80,000 mile timing belt wear-off) defects, you are better served by getting a Lexus or a Mazda.

good stuff
By aaron8986 on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

great car. Stealthy sleeper look but unheralded performance. Great interior, great ergonomics. One of the reasons i like german cars so much. Turbo...who could argue with it?

TURBO RELIABLITY?
By TURBOS! on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have a turbo gls golf and i have been in and out of the dealership. my car for some reason does not reach 8000 RPM my friend has a RX-8 and he reaches 9000 RPM. There is def. something wrong. when i drive i always see smoke coming from my car i drive 100 miles to work everyday and i need a reliable car i do my oil change every 3 months and it should be a good car from wheat my friends say. i need a more reliable car.

great family / sporty car
By drtraw on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This golf is a sporty, fun car and also handles family needs. Although it is not huge, it holds up to four people w/good headroom and a large hatch area. We often choose it for family road trips over my wife's midsize SUV. The turbo engine is great, easily rivals honda for vibration free power and has much better torque for city driving. I thought the base suspension was comfortable but too soft so I switched out the springs and shocks for GTI-style handling. Also, the interior is very well done for a car in this price range and it is very quiet on the highway.

Wonderful
By Siu on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

the best car you can get with this price. Excellent design detail. Solid engine, excellent performance.