Used 2001 Volkswagen Golf GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Not Buying VW Again
By orchid

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

The Golf is easy to maneuver and offers great visibility. The hatchback is also very convenient. I also like the safety features (i.e., so many airbags).

The faulty brake light switch keeps failing! Also, it would be nice if the cupholder was redesigned.

VW Golf
By Allen

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Golf gets great fuel economy and has very comfortable seats. I love driving it everyday and do not get bored with it. The only interior item I would have liked to have was an armrest. It would have been better with a little more power as well. I had only a few problems with it such as, the a/c compressor needed to be replaced, a spring for the airbag in the steering wheel, and the airbag in the driver's seat. Those would have been very expensive without the extended warranty.

The interior layout, how the car is smartly designed, and its great fuel economy.

It needs 30 more horsepower, an armrest, and lower rpm in the fifth gear (at 60 MPH RPM was at 3,000). It would have been better fuel economy if it were lower.

"Best car I've ever owned"
By GOLFACTOR

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Can't wait to get another one. This model type IV is made right up to 2004, so there are tons of used ones soon to be available in the coming years. My next one will be a silver GLS 2.0 8v 2dr 5 speed leather, heated seats (Maine) and a full 32% window tint. Lowered 1.5" with custom wheels or Audi replicas.

Fit and finish (quality). Handling and fun to drive.

None at this time.

Lemon Alert!
By MYREDGOLF

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf is a fun car BUT maintenance is a big problem. So far over $4,000.00 dollars has been spent on warranty work! I am lucky it has all been covered by VW, even after the warrenty has expired. This is a fun car, but plan to spend a lot of time at the dealer getting things fixed.

This is a well designed car with more room than you think. It is a lot of fun to drive, and gets 32 m.p.g. FUN!

This car has a lot of problems with repairs. I have owned many VWs and this probably my last. This car is not as well made as it appears. On top of the car breaking down all of the time, there have been numerous small ptoblems.

reliable & fun
By jordi

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my 4th VW. great city (small enough) and highspeed-highway car (tracks great; once up to speed you can stay at high speeds for extended periods). large when compared to older golfs. only a few problems along the way - not sure if this is because it's one of the few german built golfs. manual windows helped me avoid regulator problems and recall. online sale was hassle free.

storage space. seats. solid interior fit & finish. solid & proven engine.

sunroof option would have been great. more power would have been nicer. diesel option would have been nice.