2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Not Buying VW Again
By orchid on 07/07/06 11:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

VW Golf
By Allen on 06/02/06 15:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Golf gets great fuel economy and has very comfortable seats. I love driving it everyday and do not get bored with it. The only interior item I would have liked to have was an armrest. It would have been better with a little more power as well. I had only a few problems with it such as, the a/c compressor needed to be replaced, a spring for the airbag in the steering wheel, and the airbag in the driver's seat. Those would have been very expensive without the extended warranty.

"Best car I've ever owned"
By GOLFACTOR on 07/17/05 12:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Can't wait to get another one. This model type IV is made right up to 2004, so there are tons of used ones soon to be available in the coming years. My next one will be a silver GLS 2.0 8v 2dr 5 speed leather, heated seats (Maine) and a full 32% window tint. Lowered 1.5" with custom wheels or Audi replicas.

Lemon Alert!
By MYREDGOLF on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Golf is a fun car BUT maintenance is a big problem. So far over $4,000.00 dollars has been spent on warranty work! I am lucky it has all been covered by VW, even after the warrenty has expired. This is a fun car, but plan to spend a lot of time at the dealer getting things fixed.

reliable & fun
By jordi on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my 4th VW. great city (small enough) and highspeed-highway car (tracks great; once up to speed you can stay at high speeds for extended periods). large when compared to older golfs. only a few problems along the way - not sure if this is because it's one of the few german built golfs. manual windows helped me avoid regulator problems and recall. online sale was hassle free.

Great car for commuting
By Harold J on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The golf is great for commuting but not for transporting more than 3 people. when 4 or 5 people are in the car it gets kind of sluggish. but for driving to work, home, shopping and a little roadtrip its great. It comes off the corners well but will handle a lot better with performance tires. The manual windows are great since my buddies auto window regulators keep breaking on his 2002 gti. check up on the window regulators they are notorious for failling but i think VWOA had a recall out on it now but you may want to check it out to make sure

buyer beware!!!
By CLenney on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start? My first problem occurred at 24,300 miles...just over the 24,000 mile warranty (how convenient). After shelling out a mere $650, I was confident that I wouldn't experience anymore problems. I was wrong. I sunk another $1300 into my lemon of a car at only 35,000 miles. A few months after purchasing my car (which had only 7000 miles on it at the time), I had my sunroof motor replaced (after driving around with a garbage bag flapping in my face). I also had the pleasure of experiencing this with my passenger side window!! Needless to say, I am looking forward to picking up my 2000 Toyota Camry XLE tomorrow.

Perfect car for me
By cjo4 on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect car for a recent college grad. Great build quality to shame a Merc, luxurious ride, fun to drive, all the safety bits (8 airbags, disc brakes w/ABS, etc), nicely equipped, and a sense of a car costing $10k more. More than 2 yrs on, and ppl still give me looks as if it were an Audi (which it feels like). Has been dead reliable, always starts (even in mid NE winter), and the size and space of hatch is amazing. Pity my color is no longer offered-bright green-cause it makes it look so upscale. Love the looks, love the price (paid less than $15k), and love the fuel econ (+30mpg).

Junk in the Trunk
By Muligan on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

People... Save yourselves! I went with a VW Golf because of their historically good track record. Let me tell you, history did not repeat itself here. The dealership I purchased the Golf from forgot to install a 'block heater' (which is required for our cold winters). I have had the radio replaced twice, difficulties with the windshield wipers hoses, passenger window falls, heater fan replaced, and most recently the airbag indicator light has malfunctioned. Not only has the car been 'a piece' but the dealership I have had to deal with has been very difficult. I think that car sales are boosted by a clever marketting scheme.

EXCELLENT
By JBTKD on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I FIRST LIKED THECAR BECAUSE OF LOOKS AND ONCE I DROVE I WAS IN LOVE.