2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
lots of miles, lots of fun
By reclab1 on 06/03/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2003 with approx. 28,000 miles on it and I just turned 218,450. I would have to say it has been a good experience overall. Most of the maint work has been done with a local VW independent garage and they really know their stuff. I usually get 29 to 33 MPG depending on the season. (Mi. resident) Most of my repair work has been related to front suspension because of Mi. bad winter roads. I still have the original clutch and exhaust system, and have used synthetic oil with oil changes between 6-10,000 miles. I never owned a car for this long, but I find it's a blast to drive. I'll be looking for a good deal on a 4door GTI for my next ride.

Suspect Ride
By Former VW Fan on 10/30/07 19:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car is somewhat fun to drive, it has been anything but reliable. On third set of brakes after 65000 miles. Several warranty repairs and recall work done in 6 years. Fuel economy has been livable but should be better for such a small car. These cars do not deal with cold weather very well. On third set of weather seals around doors and their still ripped and warranty is up and not their problem anymore. Ice gets trapped in door hinges. Electrical problems as well. Poorly designed car.

110,000 Miles and still no issues
By dmateja on 08/24/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new 7 years ago and racked up 110,000 miles. I had a couple minor sensor issues within the first year, and were all covered under the warrenty. Since that first year no major issues.

Fun and Practical
By Bris on 02/02/07 13:41 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Golf is a fun and practical car built for everyday driving. The 1.8T engine is peppy and delivers plenty of passing power while averaging around 28 mpg. Parking is easy and the VW can carry lots of luggage for its size. The car is probably less reliable than a Honda, but I haven't had too many problems. In the last 18 months, I have had few repairs. I replaced a brake light switch and headlight bulb. The driver's window fell down and was fixed at no charge (recall item). The door switch that controls the interior lights doesn't fully work, but I still have interior lights so I haven't fixed it. All other maintenance has been routine such as oil changes. I recommend this car.

Sweet Vehicle
By PIMPAUL on 11/15/06 18:56 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It is very fast. Only small things have gone wrong (Brake lights, etc). They were easy fixes. Actually, the plastic junk seems to break easy too. My dome light switch broke off. Anyways, this car looks amazing with some good rims and tinted windows. I've had Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords, but my next car will definitely be a VW. I love 'em.

Not Buying VW Again
By orchid on 07/07/06 11:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

VW Golf
By Allen on 06/02/06 15:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Golf gets great fuel economy and has very comfortable seats. I love driving it everyday and do not get bored with it. The only interior item I would have liked to have was an armrest. It would have been better with a little more power as well. I had only a few problems with it such as, the a/c compressor needed to be replaced, a spring for the airbag in the steering wheel, and the airbag in the driver's seat. Those would have been very expensive without the extended warranty.

Great car
By H2oVento on 05/22/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 4 door 1.8T Golf is a great sleeper. It's fun to drive and hauls a lot of stuff. It's one of the best cars I have owned. It has had no major problems in over 60,000 miles of service. If you can find one, buy it. The 4-door 1.8T was only made between late 2000 and early 2001.

VW Golf To Feel
By nihan on 01/21/06 10:35 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think the VW Golf is the best compact model in its class. Maybe the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla are better than the Golf at a few points like fuel economy and build quality, but the Golf is much better in driving, gearing and performance.

Average with pretense
By Michael on 12/14/05 02:03 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Volkswagen Golf is average overall, with a below average electrical system and well designed, but a poorly built engine. Given the multitude of small (window motor, sunroof malfunctions) and not very small (side airbag misfire, engine sensors malfunction, 80,000 mile timing belt wear-off) defects, you are better served by getting a Lexus or a Mazda.

1 2 3 4 5 next »