Used 2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

lots of miles, lots of fun
By reclab1

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2003 with approx. 28,000 miles on it and I just turned 218,450. I would have to say it has been a good experience overall. Most of the maint work has been done with a local VW independent garage and they really know their stuff. I usually get 29 to 33 MPG depending on the season. (Mi. resident) Most of my repair work has been related to front suspension because of Mi. bad winter roads. I still have the original clutch and exhaust system, and have used synthetic oil with oil changes between 6-10,000 miles. I never owned a car for this long, but I find it's a blast to drive. I'll be looking for a good deal on a 4door GTI for my next ride.

Favorite Features

1.8T and smmoth 5 speed. Very good MPG. Size and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders block CD use.

Suspect Ride
By Former VW Fan

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car is somewhat fun to drive, it has been anything but reliable. On third set of brakes after 65000 miles. Several warranty repairs and recall work done in 6 years. Fuel economy has been livable but should be better for such a small car. These cars do not deal with cold weather very well. On third set of weather seals around doors and their still ripped and warranty is up and not their problem anymore. Ice gets trapped in door hinges. Electrical problems as well. Poorly designed car.

Favorite Features

Rides well. Comfortable seats. Decent amount of room for small car. High quality interior.

Suggested Improvements

Deal with cold weather better. Less maintenance costs would be nice. Why should brake fluid be changed every 2 years? Improve fuel economy. Highway noise is bad due to engine rev's so high. Better quality components such as brakes, battery and bearings would be a good starting point.

110,000 Miles and still no issues
By dmateja

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new 7 years ago and racked up 110,000 miles. I had a couple minor sensor issues within the first year, and were all covered under the warrenty. Since that first year no major issues.

Favorite Features

Extremely large cargo space. I can fit almost as much in the Golf as my brother can fit in his Ford Explorer SUV. Turbo is great! Cool interior design and dash board lights.

Suggested Improvements

The clips that hold the window were made out of plastic and have both broken. A recall was given, but only if it breaks within the first 70,000. Mine broke after 100,000. Only problem I've ever had. Gas mileage really drops off after a few year too. I get only about ~24 mpg in heavy local traffic.

Fun and Practical
By Bris

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Golf is a fun and practical car built for everyday driving. The 1.8T engine is peppy and delivers plenty of passing power while averaging around 28 mpg. Parking is easy and the VW can carry lots of luggage for its size. The car is probably less reliable than a Honda, but I haven't had too many problems. In the last 18 months, I have had few repairs. I replaced a brake light switch and headlight bulb. The driver's window fell down and was fixed at no charge (recall item). The door switch that controls the interior lights doesn't fully work, but I still have interior lights so I haven't fixed it. All other maintenance has been routine such as oil changes. I recommend this car.

Favorite Features

The 1.8T engine is solid. It gets good fuel economy. I love the blue dash lights. The 5 speed manual transmission is good. It is a fun car.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a better radio.

Sweet Vehicle
By PIMPAUL

2001 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It is very fast. Only small things have gone wrong (Brake lights, etc). They were easy fixes. Actually, the plastic junk seems to break easy too. My dome light switch broke off. Anyways, this car looks amazing with some good rims and tinted windows. I've had Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords, but my next car will definitely be a VW. I love 'em.

Favorite Features

The horsepower, overall look and design, and how it is extremely cheep to upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

Better craftsmanship with the plastic dome light switch!