2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Best car I've ever owned!
By rhett on 09/16/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had many Toyotas. I have had many VWs but this is the best car I've ever owned! It has never laid down, cranks everytime. It has 248,000 miles on original engine, clutch, even brake pads with 50% left. It has never had an alignment and drives as straight as an arrow. This TDI gets 47-50 miles to the gallon avg for the life of the car. I have only used synthetic oil and rotate the tires every 5k. If you are thinking of buying one you should.

Awsome!
By hybrid killer on 01/11/07 17:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is awesome. It's fun to drive and reliable. This is the best economy car I have ever driven.

I will have a VW TDI from here on out!
By rhettwheeler on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My family is a Toyota family. I collect old Landcruisers. I have been a finance and sales manager in the car business for 6 years. This is the best driving, handling, and most efficient car Ive ever been in! I will allways have one in the family from now on!! What a Great Purchase!!

I still like car after 2 yrs
By TDI Randy on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great fuel economy, excelent torque, comfortable & upscale interior (the best seats ever). My only beef is with the 'Buick' ride on the TDI suspension. Why not offer the GTI suspension on this car. Too soft for spirited driving. There have been 2 unscheduled dealer visits, a loose hubcap emblem (replaced) and a stone wedged between speedsensor (front wheel) and rotor. Front grille and headlight styling needs freshened up (boring).

Piece Of Crap
By AELinuxGuy on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been the worst car I have ever owned! In 30,000 miles the airbag indicator went bad, car alarm stopped working, oxygen sensor went bad twice, rear winshield washer stopped working, and both windows fell down inside of the door (happened twice on passenger side). Avoid VW like the plague.

Mileage champ and fun to drive!
By Torlin on 03/17/02 22:32 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the best car I have owned! The diesel is quick and robust. Drive it on the highway and push it to keep up with the semi's and still get 55mpg!! The hatch is a great design, holds my bike for rides. Little details in this base model are great- heated mirrors, excellent stereo, adjustable steering, etc, etc. Get one of these, you'll love it!