2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
I love my little car!
By Diesel Snob on 02/16/09 08:56 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this little car! My brother talked me into a TDI (he has a Jetta). I get better mpg than my buddy's Prius, and a better looking car. Build quality is excellent. Attention to detail inside is unreal compared to US/Japan cars, like the tiny sun visor above the rear-view mirror. Only problems I've had: plastic window clips loosened up, had to replace MAF sensor when I upgraded the turbo, which I did in an afternoon on my own. Other than oil and tires, it just keeps chugging along. I love the heated seats, a must with a TDI in the winter. I drove from Indy to Virginia on one tank! I love the look on people's faces when I tell them about my 49mpg in town.

Best car I've ever owned!
By rhett on 09/16/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had many Toyotas. I have had many VWs but this is the best car I've ever owned! It has never laid down, cranks everytime. It has 248,000 miles on original engine, clutch, even brake pads with 50% left. It has never had an alignment and drives as straight as an arrow. This TDI gets 47-50 miles to the gallon avg for the life of the car. I have only used synthetic oil and rotate the tires every 5k. If you are thinking of buying one you should.

Awsome!
By hybrid killer on 01/11/07 17:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is awesome. It's fun to drive and reliable. This is the best economy car I have ever driven.

Perfect Car for me
By Kevin on 06/22/05 15:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought this car used with 80K miles on it and I was amazed at how smooth the engine and clean it was (inside, outside, and engine bay). These TDI's are easier upgradable and I've added about 30HP and 100 ft-lbs of torque for under $500. My performance has greatly improved and my fuel economy is still 48 MPG mixed city/hwy. Most importantly, this car is amazingly reliable and is an easy car to maintain yourself. I love this car

Not happy with unscheduled maintenance
By Sam on 04/19/05 11:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Pros: 42 mpg mixed driving with automatic transmission. Good handling and ride for a small car. Roomy too, but backseat legroom is cramped. More cargo capacity than expected with the rear seats folded down. Good exterior finish. Cons: Unscheduled maintenance, all of which occured in the 3rd year of ownership, include: 3 glow plugs replaced, rear brakes (Rotors and pads), intake manifold clogged with diesel residue, intake manifold gasket replaced due to leak, said leak spraying diesal onto wiring harness which required replacement (These last three being caused by a "fuel quality issue" and not covered by the warranty, $1,200+ to fix.) and tires. Oil changes are expensive too.

Great mileage and fun
By TomTDI on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The stock intecooler is a wee bit small and had saturated with heat, I live in Southern California, so I replaced it with an ABD aftermarket unit and have had great results. changed to a K & N filter and now the performance is better too. The automatic I have is good, but the stick version is really much more fun. Never has smoked and the other than the known recall issues the car has been very reliable overall but not as good as say a toyota. I will buy another one again, once they are available again in california in 2006.

I will have a VW TDI from here on out!
By rhettwheeler on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My family is a Toyota family. I collect old Landcruisers. I have been a finance and sales manager in the car business for 6 years. This is the best driving, handling, and most efficient car Ive ever been in! I will allways have one in the family from now on!! What a Great Purchase!!

Good car overall!
By imafishinnut on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the car in general. It is really fun to drive and has great fuel economy (average 48 mpg city and 54 mpg highway). Excellent power for a four cylinder. Only have encountered on problem so far -- faulty window mechanism for power windows. Driver side window fell down into door and wouldn't come back up. Dealer fixed both windows simultaneously and indicated that it was a problem with the pulley design.

TDI Golf
By XJScott on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Compared to other compact cars (Civic, Focus, Corolla) the Golf is much more fun to drive, albeit for a premium price. I'm 6'2" yet fit very well due to highly adjustable seats, although sitting in the rear seats behind me would be impossible. Hatchback design provides extra flexibility when cargo hauling is required. Build-quality, although Brazilian, is solid and paint looks brand new after 2.5 years. Cloth seats are hair magnets, though, and I carry a lint roller in the car at all times. I'd look at leather next time.

I still like car after 2 yrs
By TDI Randy on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great fuel economy, excelent torque, comfortable & upscale interior (the best seats ever). My only beef is with the 'Buick' ride on the TDI suspension. Why not offer the GTI suspension on this car. Too soft for spirited driving. There have been 2 unscheduled dealer visits, a loose hubcap emblem (replaced) and a stone wedged between speedsensor (front wheel) and rotor. Front grille and headlight styling needs freshened up (boring).