2001 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
lots of miles, lots of fun
By reclab1 on 06/03/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used in 2003 with approx. 28,000 miles on it and I just turned 218,450. I would have to say it has been a good experience overall. Most of the maint work has been done with a local VW independent garage and they really know their stuff. I usually get 29 to 33 MPG depending on the season. (Mi. resident) Most of my repair work has been related to front suspension because of Mi. bad winter roads. I still have the original clutch and exhaust system, and have used synthetic oil with oil changes between 6-10,000 miles. I never owned a car for this long, but I find it's a blast to drive. I'll be looking for a good deal on a 4door GTI for my next ride.

I love my little car!
By Diesel Snob on 02/16/09 08:56 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this little car! My brother talked me into a TDI (he has a Jetta). I get better mpg than my buddy's Prius, and a better looking car. Build quality is excellent. Attention to detail inside is unreal compared to US/Japan cars, like the tiny sun visor above the rear-view mirror. Only problems I've had: plastic window clips loosened up, had to replace MAF sensor when I upgraded the turbo, which I did in an afternoon on my own. Other than oil and tires, it just keeps chugging along. I love the heated seats, a must with a TDI in the winter. I drove from Indy to Virginia on one tank! I love the look on people's faces when I tell them about my 49mpg in town.

Suspect Ride
By Former VW Fan on 10/30/07 19:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car is somewhat fun to drive, it has been anything but reliable. On third set of brakes after 65000 miles. Several warranty repairs and recall work done in 6 years. Fuel economy has been livable but should be better for such a small car. These cars do not deal with cold weather very well. On third set of weather seals around doors and their still ripped and warranty is up and not their problem anymore. Ice gets trapped in door hinges. Electrical problems as well. Poorly designed car.

Best car I've ever owned!
By rhett on 09/16/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had many Toyotas. I have had many VWs but this is the best car I've ever owned! It has never laid down, cranks everytime. It has 248,000 miles on original engine, clutch, even brake pads with 50% left. It has never had an alignment and drives as straight as an arrow. This TDI gets 47-50 miles to the gallon avg for the life of the car. I have only used synthetic oil and rotate the tires every 5k. If you are thinking of buying one you should.

110,000 Miles and still no issues
By dmateja on 08/24/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new 7 years ago and racked up 110,000 miles. I had a couple minor sensor issues within the first year, and were all covered under the warrenty. Since that first year no major issues.

Fun and Practical
By Bris on 02/02/07 13:41 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The VW Golf is a fun and practical car built for everyday driving. The 1.8T engine is peppy and delivers plenty of passing power while averaging around 28 mpg. Parking is easy and the VW can carry lots of luggage for its size. The car is probably less reliable than a Honda, but I haven't had too many problems. In the last 18 months, I have had few repairs. I replaced a brake light switch and headlight bulb. The driver's window fell down and was fixed at no charge (recall item). The door switch that controls the interior lights doesn't fully work, but I still have interior lights so I haven't fixed it. All other maintenance has been routine such as oil changes. I recommend this car.

Awsome!
By hybrid killer on 01/11/07 17:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is awesome. It's fun to drive and reliable. This is the best economy car I have ever driven.

Sweet Vehicle
By PIMPAUL on 11/15/06 18:56 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It is very fast. Only small things have gone wrong (Brake lights, etc). They were easy fixes. Actually, the plastic junk seems to break easy too. My dome light switch broke off. Anyways, this car looks amazing with some good rims and tinted windows. I've had Toyotas, Hondas, and Fords, but my next car will definitely be a VW. I love 'em.

Not Buying VW Again
By orchid on 07/07/06 11:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my VW Golf has been less than great. I received atrocious customer service at the dealership where I bought my car and only OK customer service at other dealers in San Diego. Anyway, as for the car itself, it handles well WHEN IT WORKS, but the faulty brake light switch would prevent me from buying another VW. It's failed ONCE PER YEAR for each year I've owned the car, with a cost of $125 per repair. The brake light switch causes the car to get stuck in park. This is a known defect for Golfs manufactured around 2001! Why won't VW fix this problem? I have had other repairs, but this is the most irritating. I will buy a Toyota next time.

VW Golf
By Allen on 06/02/06 15:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Golf gets great fuel economy and has very comfortable seats. I love driving it everyday and do not get bored with it. The only interior item I would have liked to have was an armrest. It would have been better with a little more power as well. I had only a few problems with it such as, the a/c compressor needed to be replaced, a spring for the airbag in the steering wheel, and the airbag in the driver's seat. Those would have been very expensive without the extended warranty.