2000 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Kraut rocket.

2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Kraut rocket.
By fingyrl on

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Nice car for wintry driving. At 31,000+ miles my check engine light came on and I needed a new mass air flow sensor (total repair $325). According to the Vortex website--this is a known problem, and I felt that it should have been covered under the 10 yr powertrain warranty. There was a class action filed against VWofAm so, that I think the window regulator problem others mention now falls under a separate 7 yr warranty. Other than the sensor, it has been great for me with only the usual scheduled maintenance. I'd buy this car again as a V6 GTI or trade up to another German car.

Fits a small person well. Easiest car to park in a big city. Decent sound system and exterior styling (copied by many). Zippy acceleration. I luv this car--I can see why it's consistently a top seller in Europe.

When going above 80 mph, you can hear engine noise; needs a 6th gear. Also, the location of the trunk light ONLY makes sense if you have a CD changer. Car should come with a parking light option on/off. Like the Audis, the moonroof should have lit up dials at night.