2000 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - It sacrificed it's life for

2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

It sacrificed it's life for my son's
By tednugent on

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

On May 6 my 2000 VW Golf GLS ended its life suddenly in a 60 mph headon crash with a guardrail. On a positive note, my son and his prom date were uninjured. I had bought that car in 2000 because it was one of the few small cars that had top crash test ratings and all the features of larger cars, such as ABS, sunroof, adjustable steering wheel, fully adjustable seats, etc. So what did I think of the car? Overall, very good. Will I buy another Golf? Maybe. Either that or a Civic. I like the Golf better in most ways, but since I want to buy a used car the reliability history of the Civic may trump. I fear getting one of those few Golfs-from-hell that seem to have all the problems.

Favorite Features

Positives: - Feeling of solidity and appearance of quality. - Safety features and crash ratings (yup, I proved them right) - Availability of luxury features on a small car (sunroof, remote locks, etc) - Good handling yet comfortable highway ride

Suggested Improvements

Negatives: - Some rattles and creaks - Thirst for oil (1 qt in 15,00 miles) - Somewhat rubbery gear shift - Touchy brakes - Reliability (I had only one serious prob - a thermostat failure which caused overheating. Two inconvenient probs paid by VW were defective tires and mass airflow sensor)