Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Most Helpful|
Love/Hate for me too
By first and last

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Love to drive it, hate to fix it. Had it for 2 years, been to the dealer 10+ times. All four windows have broken at least once (pass. rear broken 3 times), doors and windows freeze in a mild winter, vinyl on all four door panels melted off, rear cup holder broke (even though nobody uses it), both back brakes completely replaced, recalled twice. The best part: the extended warrenty I bought at the dealer in Canada cannot be redeemed at the dealer I go to in the U.S.!! What's up with that? Definitely my first and last VW.

Favorite Features

gas mileage when on cruise control, cd player and speakers, very comfortable - can drive it for 10 hrs continuously no problem

Suggested Improvements

windows, windows, windows

It looks good, but it doesn't work!
By Fred52

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

We have had nothing but trouble with our golf. Windshield wiper arm/motor assembly has broken, numerous headlight and taillight outages, check engine light illuminates every so often, brake calipers locked up, (of course the windows have all fallen in), the door panel covers peeled off, the console lights flicker, the cruise control does not work consistently, and the platinum extended warranty that is supposed to cover everything has covered practically nothing...This car is a heap of junk.

Favorite Features

Design, zippy motor

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that doesn't fall apart and cost an extra $500 every three months to keep working!

It's Great ... If It's Working
By sherman

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

My wife and I bought our Golf GLS four-door new in 1999. It only took a couple of months before bizarre problems manifested themselves. Windows that fell into doors, mysterious rattling, seatbelts that refused to work, a radio that went on and off by itself ... plus more serious issues such as transmission problems and sudden brake failure (that's right: failure!), blown head gaskets at 30,000 miles, fluid leaks. Good luck arguing warranty issues with your VW dealer. We spent at least $1000 a year fixing the Golf every year we had it -- factor that in if you buy one. Buy a VW if you're wealthy and/or married to a decent mechanic.

Favorite Features

In spite of everything, it is also a good car in its way. Handles extremely well. We love driving it. Great in the snow, especially for a small car. It looks good on the outside -- it did on the inside too until nearly everything fell off or broke.

250K and counting!
By 4UHONEY

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Got w/40K put about 210K on it, overall it's been great, the regular VWGolf problems, the front power windows broke about 3/4 times but VW had a recall and fixed for good, refunded me the $ spent on fixing the previous times, the H/L bulbs would burn every about 4/5 months I carry a spare set in the glove box, other than that just regular maint.the 2000cc eng use oil, thats normal 1 qt every 4 or 5K since new, changed timing belt 1st time @ 150K and was still like new, changed water pump as well just 4 prevention,still orig. clutch. just recently @ 245K the radiator went, so how can I complain??? its a great car. I've read ppl claim to be good in the snow, mine handles horrible in the snow.

Favorite Features

dashboard lighting, sound sys, heated seats, sunroof, 5 spd, 4 air bags

Suggested Improvements

Peeling interior, traction control,seats reclining mechanism (annoying rotate handle)

good car so far
By jsatt14

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

i havent had my car for too long but so far it has been great. its my first car and it has been good so far. gas milege is great went to pa about 300 miles from my house and only used alittle less than 3/4 a tank. its comfortable to drive, half the time i dont wanna get out of it. the down side is that the glove box broke and the main driverside switches barely work. i cant lock the doors with it and the windows dont always roll down when i use them. overall its a great car and hopefully it doesnt bring me alot of problems. id buy another one in the future.

Favorite Features

6 cd changer comfortability and the cargo space