Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

good car so far
By jsatt14

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

i havent had my car for too long but so far it has been great. its my first car and it has been good so far. gas milege is great went to pa about 300 miles from my house and only used alittle less than 3/4 a tank. its comfortable to drive, half the time i dont wanna get out of it. the down side is that the glove box broke and the main driverside switches barely work. i cant lock the doors with it and the windows dont always roll down when i use them. overall its a great car and hopefully it doesnt bring me alot of problems. id buy another one in the future.

6 cd changer comfortability and the cargo space

250K and counting!
By 4UHONEY

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Got w/40K put about 210K on it, overall it's been great, the regular VWGolf problems, the front power windows broke about 3/4 times but VW had a recall and fixed for good, refunded me the $ spent on fixing the previous times, the H/L bulbs would burn every about 4/5 months I carry a spare set in the glove box, other than that just regular maint.the 2000cc eng use oil, thats normal 1 qt every 4 or 5K since new, changed timing belt 1st time @ 150K and was still like new, changed water pump as well just 4 prevention,still orig. clutch. just recently @ 245K the radiator went, so how can I complain??? its a great car. I've read ppl claim to be good in the snow, mine handles horrible in the snow.

dashboard lighting, sound sys, heated seats, sunroof, 5 spd, 4 air bags

Peeling interior, traction control,seats reclining mechanism (annoying rotate handle)

I'm Hooked on my Golf
By Glenn Scott

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Always been a Toyota Junkie, not any more. I bought it with 130K on it and in two weeks I put on about 1800 miles. Its a really fun car to drive the Ergonomics are perfect for me and its a great handling car on the back roads of NH. No problems, I got it with new brakes and new rubber. Green with tan and black interior, great combination. I have no complaints at this point. Added a half a quart of oil at 2200 miles. That's pretty good for me. I run my Toyotas up to 250 / 280K. Lets see what the VW can do.

Blue dash lights are awesome. Great interior room and handles like a sportscar should.

6 speed tranny so I have an overdrive to get a little better MPG. I hate spinning 3200 RPM at 65 MPH !!!

It's Great ... If It's Working
By sherman

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

My wife and I bought our Golf GLS four-door new in 1999. It only took a couple of months before bizarre problems manifested themselves. Windows that fell into doors, mysterious rattling, seatbelts that refused to work, a radio that went on and off by itself ... plus more serious issues such as transmission problems and sudden brake failure (that's right: failure!), blown head gaskets at 30,000 miles, fluid leaks. Good luck arguing warranty issues with your VW dealer. We spent at least $1000 a year fixing the Golf every year we had it -- factor that in if you buy one. Buy a VW if you're wealthy and/or married to a decent mechanic.

In spite of everything, it is also a good car in its way. Handles extremely well. We love driving it. Great in the snow, especially for a small car. It looks good on the outside -- it did on the inside too until nearly everything fell off or broke.

Great Volkswagen Golf
By golfcrzn

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 80,000 miles. I still haven't had any problems and nor did the person I bought it from. Its a fun, reliable, zippy car. I've had a lot of cars and this is perhaps my favorite so far. I love all the options for being a economy based car.

The power up on the windows, blue dash lights, body style, a lot of good things.

A bigger motor or more power.