2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
good car so far
By jsatt14 on 07/14/11 22:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

i havent had my car for too long but so far it has been great. its my first car and it has been good so far. gas milege is great went to pa about 300 miles from my house and only used alittle less than 3/4 a tank. its comfortable to drive, half the time i dont wanna get out of it. the down side is that the glove box broke and the main driverside switches barely work. i cant lock the doors with it and the windows dont always roll down when i use them. overall its a great car and hopefully it doesnt bring me alot of problems. id buy another one in the future.

Fun car.
By lubdosedubs on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 2000 and have had it for over 10 years now. Other than a few dings, the body still looks great and the interior is fresh. It goes like stink and handles extremely well, yet is comfortable for long distance driving. The only niggling problem I have had is the airbags; have fixed them 3 times and now the light is on again.....

250K and counting!
By 4UHONEY on 02/10/10 13:18 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Got w/40K put about 210K on it, overall it's been great, the regular VWGolf problems, the front power windows broke about 3/4 times but VW had a recall and fixed for good, refunded me the $ spent on fixing the previous times, the H/L bulbs would burn every about 4/5 months I carry a spare set in the glove box, other than that just regular maint.the 2000cc eng use oil, thats normal 1 qt every 4 or 5K since new, changed timing belt 1st time @ 150K and was still like new, changed water pump as well just 4 prevention,still orig. clutch. just recently @ 245K the radiator went, so how can I complain??? its a great car. I've read ppl claim to be good in the snow, mine handles horrible in the snow.

Great little car!
By Eckeman on 10/27/09 09:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this one with 5K miles way back in 2000 and it has been going strong for over 9 years. The only major issue I've had was brake rotor and pad replacement at 25K, which was costly. We also had some minor oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues that were under warranty and easily resolved. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90K, as recommended. So in short, we’ve put nearly 120K on this thing with very few problems. The design is very sleek; it hardly looks dated after nearly 10 years. The car is great on the highway, with a very solid, tight feel. It has great safety features (4 air bags, ABS). I love the steering, controls, dash lighting and the interior space.

Good, Affordable Pocket Rocket
By Mauricio Gomez Weiss on 08/06/08 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchase my 1.8 turbo in June, until now I had to change the gasket (vw dealers in Canada kind of expensive),excellent power, handles incredibly, good acceleration. Downside part as all the comments,plastic glove box and central arm rest cover breaks easily and are expensive to replace unless you get used ones, rubbery cover on the armrest front door drivers side peels like when you are sunburned. Fuel consumption around 9.1 lt/100km could be better. Cargo space amazing (fit a 40" Sony LCD and 2 passengers plus the driver all comfortable). It's an affordable car with good power and decent fuel consumption (could be better though)

I'm Hooked on my Golf
By Glenn Scott on 08/04/08 14:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Always been a Toyota Junkie, not any more. I bought it with 130K on it and in two weeks I put on about 1800 miles. Its a really fun car to drive the Ergonomics are perfect for me and its a great handling car on the back roads of NH. No problems, I got it with new brakes and new rubber. Green with tan and black interior, great combination. I have no complaints at this point. Added a half a quart of oil at 2200 miles. That's pretty good for me. I run my Toyotas up to 250 / 280K. Lets see what the VW can do.

It's Great ... If It's Working
By sherman on 09/11/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

My wife and I bought our Golf GLS four-door new in 1999. It only took a couple of months before bizarre problems manifested themselves. Windows that fell into doors, mysterious rattling, seatbelts that refused to work, a radio that went on and off by itself ... plus more serious issues such as transmission problems and sudden brake failure (that's right: failure!), blown head gaskets at 30,000 miles, fluid leaks. Good luck arguing warranty issues with your VW dealer. We spent at least $1000 a year fixing the Golf every year we had it -- factor that in if you buy one. Buy a VW if you're wealthy and/or married to a decent mechanic.

Don't Buy This Car
By dontbuythiscar on 10/07/05 02:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My 2000 Volkswagen Golf has had too many problems to list. Its factory recalls include: a bad welding on upper front control arm, dealership will replace if needed; no labeling of child safety seat teathers; hazard / turn signal relay gone bad, had mine replaced; fuel line relay, crack in seal could cause leak that could start fire, mine needed replacing. This is what I have also had to replace due to problems: turbo boost controller/blow off valve, transmission, clutch, head & tail lightbulb, front undercariage cover, front brakes, passenger seat, battery, interior seals, cruise control module, and rear cup holders. I paid $1,500 for a carmax warranty, and it was worth every penny. Their 250 point inspection is worthless. My car's a lemon that I can't get rid of.

blast to drive
By zoomzoom on 09/06/05 20:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've had nothing but good experiences after buying my zippy 1.8t Golf. After reading reviews of Golfs from hell I decided to buy a used one from a dealership, as a precaution if anything were to go completely wrong (NY dealers give 2 months warranties). The only small problem I have is the hinge on the glove box was broken, this doesn't affect the use. I also got this car because of my growing fear of the behemoth SUVs on the road that would have totaled my little old Honda. The car has great acceleration and lots of passing power when down shifting. Overall this car is a blast to drive. By the way, it has tons of cargo space for such a little car.

Great Volkswagen Golf
By golfcrzn on 08/25/05 14:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 80,000 miles. I still haven't had any problems and nor did the person I bought it from. Its a fun, reliable, zippy car. I've had a lot of cars and this is perhaps my favorite so far. I love all the options for being a economy based car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »