Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

good car so far
By jsatt14

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

i havent had my car for too long but so far it has been great. its my first car and it has been good so far. gas milege is great went to pa about 300 miles from my house and only used alittle less than 3/4 a tank. its comfortable to drive, half the time i dont wanna get out of it. the down side is that the glove box broke and the main driverside switches barely work. i cant lock the doors with it and the windows dont always roll down when i use them. overall its a great car and hopefully it doesnt bring me alot of problems. id buy another one in the future.

6 cd changer comfortability and the cargo space

Fun car.
By lubdosedubs

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 2000 and have had it for over 10 years now. Other than a few dings, the body still looks great and the interior is fresh. It goes like stink and handles extremely well, yet is comfortable for long distance driving. The only niggling problem I have had is the airbags; have fixed them 3 times and now the light is on again.....

Acceleration, handling, fuel economy, comfort.

Better quality airbags (or none at all).

250K and counting!
By 4UHONEY

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback

Got w/40K put about 210K on it, overall it's been great, the regular VWGolf problems, the front power windows broke about 3/4 times but VW had a recall and fixed for good, refunded me the $ spent on fixing the previous times, the H/L bulbs would burn every about 4/5 months I carry a spare set in the glove box, other than that just regular maint.the 2000cc eng use oil, thats normal 1 qt every 4 or 5K since new, changed timing belt 1st time @ 150K and was still like new, changed water pump as well just 4 prevention,still orig. clutch. just recently @ 245K the radiator went, so how can I complain??? its a great car. I've read ppl claim to be good in the snow, mine handles horrible in the snow.

dashboard lighting, sound sys, heated seats, sunroof, 5 spd, 4 air bags

Peeling interior, traction control,seats reclining mechanism (annoying rotate handle)

Great little car!
By Eckeman

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this one with 5K miles way back in 2000 and it has been going strong for over 9 years. The only major issue I've had was brake rotor and pad replacement at 25K, which was costly. We also had some minor oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues that were under warranty and easily resolved. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90K, as recommended. So in short, we’ve put nearly 120K on this thing with very few problems. The design is very sleek; it hardly looks dated after nearly 10 years. The car is great on the highway, with a very solid, tight feel. It has great safety features (4 air bags, ABS). I love the steering, controls, dash lighting and the interior space.

Design, interior space, instrumentation, seats, auto transmission, safety.

Glovebox hinge is flimsy, interior door handles peel a rubber coating, oil consumption (1 quart per 5000K), brake rotor life.

Good, Affordable Pocket Rocket
By Mauricio Gomez Weiss

2000 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchase my 1.8 turbo in June, until now I had to change the gasket (vw dealers in Canada kind of expensive),excellent power, handles incredibly, good acceleration. Downside part as all the comments,plastic glove box and central arm rest cover breaks easily and are expensive to replace unless you get used ones, rubbery cover on the armrest front door drivers side peels like when you are sunburned. Fuel consumption around 9.1 lt/100km could be better. Cargo space amazing (fit a 40" Sony LCD and 2 passengers plus the driver all comfortable). It's an affordable car with good power and decent fuel consumption (could be better though)

Dashboard blue lights, handling, acceleration and looks, moonroof, heated mirrors, seat comfort, cargo space

Better quality in the plastics, front cup holders location blocks the radio controls