2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Bad bad VW
By BillfromJersey on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

Most unreliable car I have ever owned. This list of problems is endless. Mass Air Flow sensor, headlights, dashboard lights, glove box..twice (and do you think that VW has even reconized this problem?), ABS, Hydraulic brake unit, radio and on and on and on. Thank goodness that I have roll down windows...I see that many people have had problems with their power windows.

Lowest cost per mile ever
By ericfrancis on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

I have put over 128 thousand miles on my Golf Gl TDI. After an initial warranty issue with the rear brake pads failing twice (fixed free) I have done nothing other than routine maintenance. The car is quick, responsive and agile very reliable, starts in sub zero weather no problems and i can drive from chicago to Houston texas on 2 tanks of diesel averaging 85mph.

Beware!
By JoeA on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle performed very well after my purchase. But after maintaining this car it diminished in performance to the point where problems could not be solved. I believe it is a good vehicle but being a diesel may be its downfall. If you buy one, BE CERTAIN there is a certified mechanic that can service it. My performance rating reflects this.

Not much to complain about
By shankmeister on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

This car has been stone reliable (mine is a German car). I live in the NE, and these roads are horrible, especially in winter. The Golf has been a great companion for my long distance commute, and I will probably never own a car that costs less per mile. And it is VERY good in the snow with snow tires.

High Repair Costs
By NJ Jellybean on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my TDI new. I have put on a lot of miles, so the good gas milage is great. However, I have experienced high repair cost so what I am saving in gas I am paying in repairs. Not many mechanics can work on diesel engines so I am a the mercy of the dealer. At 80K miles my turbo died. Still waiting to hear why and how much it is to repair. Service provided by VW is very expensive ($82/hr for labor). Additionally, VW charges more for any work done on a diesel vehicle. Regular oil change cost $55.

Musta used Elmer's glue.
By MrMorton on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

I think everyone must agree Murphy must be jailed for writing his laws. Warranty finished along with the bonding in the glues. Vinyl trim on either door has bubbled up and the knob on the parking brake popped off. Brake fixed but nothing can be done with the vinyl. This car is so far a good reliable drive. Wonderful in the snow and has yet to get stuck. In fact I had to drive other people to work. As for mileage. Well, don't believe their advertised 720mi per tank unless you have EXCELLENT diesel fuel near you. I regularly do 500-600mi per tank with additives. Or about 400 without additives. No experience with biodiesel fuels yet.