Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf GL TDi Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Bad bad VW
By BillfromJersey

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

Most unreliable car I have ever owned. This list of problems is endless. Mass Air Flow sensor, headlights, dashboard lights, glove box..twice (and do you think that VW has even reconized this problem?), ABS, Hydraulic brake unit, radio and on and on and on. Thank goodness that I have roll down windows...I see that many people have had problems with their power windows.

Gas mileage.

Make the car more mechanice friendly. Give the computer codes to mechanics so that people don't have to be disgusted going back to the dealership all of the time to get repairs.

Lowest cost per mile ever
By ericfrancis

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

I have put over 128 thousand miles on my Golf Gl TDI. After an initial warranty issue with the rear brake pads failing twice (fixed free) I have done nothing other than routine maintenance. The car is quick, responsive and agile very reliable, starts in sub zero weather no problems and i can drive from chicago to Houston texas on 2 tanks of diesel averaging 85mph.

Acceleration, economy

Improve egr system i don't want to rplace it again at 248,000 miles

Beware!
By JoeA

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle performed very well after my purchase. But after maintaining this car it diminished in performance to the point where problems could not be solved. I believe it is a good vehicle but being a diesel may be its downfall. If you buy one, BE CERTAIN there is a certified mechanic that can service it. My performance rating reflects this.

Holds the road comfortably at high speeds. Even in the coldest winter (10 degrees) it started without a problem. Very economical.

VW should review dealerships.

Not much to complain about
By shankmeister

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

This car has been stone reliable (mine is a German car). I live in the NE, and these roads are horrible, especially in winter. The Golf has been a great companion for my long distance commute, and I will probably never own a car that costs less per mile. And it is VERY good in the snow with snow tires.

It is a stealthy, low flying speedster. The radio (non-Monsoon) is a good one. Love the tilt and telescope steering wheel. Handling. Ride (most of the time). Build quality. Durable paint. Looks. Engine. MPG. ETC, etc, and so on.

Redesign the glovebox. Timing chain not belts. Go back to manufacturing them in Germany. 16 inch wheels standard. Headlights could be brighter. A little more ground clearance. Better cupholders.

High Repair Costs
By NJ Jellybean

2000 Volkswagen Golf Diesel GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my TDI new. I have put on a lot of miles, so the good gas milage is great. However, I have experienced high repair cost so what I am saving in gas I am paying in repairs. Not many mechanics can work on diesel engines so I am a the mercy of the dealer. At 80K miles my turbo died. Still waiting to hear why and how much it is to repair. Service provided by VW is very expensive ($82/hr for labor). Additionally, VW charges more for any work done on a diesel vehicle. Regular oil change cost $55.

Gas milage.

A bit small. Better warranty coverage or less repairs!