2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
good car so far
By jsatt14 on 07/14/11 22:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

i havent had my car for too long but so far it has been great. its my first car and it has been good so far. gas milege is great went to pa about 300 miles from my house and only used alittle less than 3/4 a tank. its comfortable to drive, half the time i dont wanna get out of it. the down side is that the glove box broke and the main driverside switches barely work. i cant lock the doors with it and the windows dont always roll down when i use them. overall its a great car and hopefully it doesnt bring me alot of problems. id buy another one in the future.

250K and counting!
By 4UHONEY on 02/10/10 13:18 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

Got w/40K put about 210K on it, overall it's been great, the regular VWGolf problems, the front power windows broke about 3/4 times but VW had a recall and fixed for good, refunded me the $ spent on fixing the previous times, the H/L bulbs would burn every about 4/5 months I carry a spare set in the glove box, other than that just regular maint.the 2000cc eng use oil, thats normal 1 qt every 4 or 5K since new, changed timing belt 1st time @ 150K and was still like new, changed water pump as well just 4 prevention,still orig. clutch. just recently @ 245K the radiator went, so how can I complain??? its a great car. I've read ppl claim to be good in the snow, mine handles horrible in the snow.

I'm Hooked on my Golf
By Glenn Scott on 08/04/08 14:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

Always been a Toyota Junkie, not any more. I bought it with 130K on it and in two weeks I put on about 1800 miles. Its a really fun car to drive the Ergonomics are perfect for me and its a great handling car on the back roads of NH. No problems, I got it with new brakes and new rubber. Green with tan and black interior, great combination. I have no complaints at this point. Added a half a quart of oil at 2200 miles. That's pretty good for me. I run my Toyotas up to 250 / 280K. Lets see what the VW can do.

It's Great ... If It's Working
By sherman on 09/11/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

My wife and I bought our Golf GLS four-door new in 1999. It only took a couple of months before bizarre problems manifested themselves. Windows that fell into doors, mysterious rattling, seatbelts that refused to work, a radio that went on and off by itself ... plus more serious issues such as transmission problems and sudden brake failure (that's right: failure!), blown head gaskets at 30,000 miles, fluid leaks. Good luck arguing warranty issues with your VW dealer. We spent at least $1000 a year fixing the Golf every year we had it -- factor that in if you buy one. Buy a VW if you're wealthy and/or married to a decent mechanic.

Great Volkswagen Golf
By golfcrzn on 08/25/05 14:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 80,000 miles. I still haven't had any problems and nor did the person I bought it from. Its a fun, reliable, zippy car. I've had a lot of cars and this is perhaps my favorite so far. I love all the options for being a economy based car.

Pretty Good Car
By paul on 08/08/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought the car in winter off 2002 and it has been a pretty good car. So far the only problem I've had with it was the window which I still haven't fixed and airbag sensor. I didn't like how the car had 2 tone interior so I changed it to a full black interior. Do-it-yourself kind of thing cost me not even $300. I like the handling, but wish there were slight improvements in acceleration.

It sacrificed it's life for my son's
By tednugent on 05/12/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

On May 6 my 2000 VW Golf GLS ended its life suddenly in a 60 mph headon crash with a guardrail. On a positive note, my son and his prom date were uninjured. I had bought that car in 2000 because it was one of the few small cars that had top crash test ratings and all the features of larger cars, such as ABS, sunroof, adjustable steering wheel, fully adjustable seats, etc. So what did I think of the car? Overall, very good. Will I buy another Golf? Maybe. Either that or a Civic. I like the Golf better in most ways, but since I want to buy a used car the reliability history of the Civic may trump. I fear getting one of those few Golfs-from-hell that seem to have all the problems.

Fun to drive, tons of space!
By S. Hernandez on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

I have had a really good experience with this car. No major issues at all. The trunk space is wonderful, specially if you put the back seats down. You can fit your bike, a 32" TV Set or any other big stuff you will not be able to fit in a regular sedan trunk. The car has good fuel economy, which matters a lot these days with the gas prices. The car is fun to drive and even with a standard engine (2.0) the acceleration is quite good.

Still lovin' it.
By JStew on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought the car new in 2000. Have had only a few minor problems. Yes, the oil issue is a pain but it improved over time. I've had the hatch latch repaired under warranty and the cruise control module was replaced, but otherwise no problems. Great gas mileage, still fun to drive. Hatch holds a lot of stuff. A great basic car.

The Golf Was The Best Car I Ever Bought
By Quiller on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback

This is one tough little car. There are problems: The emission sensors are way too sensitive and the "Check Engine" light can't decide if it wants to stay on or not; There are times when the fuel mixture is off [sensor again], and the car's idle speed zooms up out of nowhere. However, it moves like anything and I can zip from here to there effortlessly.