Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great little car!
By Eckeman

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this one with 5K miles way back in 2000 and it has been going strong for over 9 years. The only major issue I've had was brake rotor and pad replacement at 25K, which was costly. We also had some minor oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues that were under warranty and easily resolved. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90K, as recommended. So in short, we’ve put nearly 120K on this thing with very few problems. The design is very sleek; it hardly looks dated after nearly 10 years. The car is great on the highway, with a very solid, tight feel. It has great safety features (4 air bags, ABS). I love the steering, controls, dash lighting and the interior space.

Design, interior space, instrumentation, seats, auto transmission, safety.

Glovebox hinge is flimsy, interior door handles peel a rubber coating, oil consumption (1 quart per 5000K), brake rotor life.

A real keeper
By TimTim

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This car runs like a top. It's affordable, fun to drive and has earned my trust. The cup holders are cheap and flimsy, but I can live with that. The features-to-cost ratio is much better than anything in its class. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Blue interior lights, side air bags, chrome transmission cover and eight speaker stereo.

Cup Holders: Less asthetic but more durable. I had to install a CD player, why do cars still come with tape decks?

Adios VW
By Pdodge77

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought the Golf because my wife had an 89 Jetta that was built like a tank. The problems didn't start until just before the warranty expired. At 22,000 miles we had to have the engine computer and various sensors replaced. Oil just "disappears" and mileage is about 20mpg. Brakes and water pump went at 40,000, alternator ($600) at 42,000. The plastic parts and glue have been getting worse and worse all summer. I walked out one morning to find the passenger side trim just hanging (thank god for crazy glue). We're taking a loss and trading it in for a Toyota Matrix. Don't know if I'll trust the Germans ever again...

Style and comfort.

Better reliability and much better customer service.

Love To Golf
By Bryan

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

The only problems are with the platic features in side. Cup Holders, all broke a few times.

The trunk, and the fold down seats. The back hatch cover makes a great work sight desk, and having the rear a/c outlet is perfect.

Needs Improvements
By Choisan

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This car was my first brand new car. Here is my grand list of bad behavior by my little golf; rear break pads and rotors replaced at 20k, radio replaced due to sticky buttons, mid console replacement due to damage during radio installation, rear break pads replaced again after another 15k miles! At 40k miles, water pump and timing belt went! Covered under warranty, but they also had to replace oxygen sensor and mass air flow sensor. Bottom line, the car is neat, but reliability sucks, VW service dept. sucks, and customer care folks suck too. So, I hope that my experience will help deter future suckers from buying a German engineering nightmare.

Not much except the deceptive stylish look of the car and handling that only last until the next mechanical breakdown.

Improved reliability of the car that includes extended warranty.