2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great little car!
By Eckeman on 10/27/09 09:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this one with 5K miles way back in 2000 and it has been going strong for over 9 years. The only major issue I've had was brake rotor and pad replacement at 25K, which was costly. We also had some minor oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues that were under warranty and easily resolved. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90K, as recommended. So in short, we’ve put nearly 120K on this thing with very few problems. The design is very sleek; it hardly looks dated after nearly 10 years. The car is great on the highway, with a very solid, tight feel. It has great safety features (4 air bags, ABS). I love the steering, controls, dash lighting and the interior space.

A real keeper
By TimTim on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This car runs like a top. It's affordable, fun to drive and has earned my trust. The cup holders are cheap and flimsy, but I can live with that. The features-to-cost ratio is much better than anything in its class. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Adios VW
By Pdodge77 on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought the Golf because my wife had an 89 Jetta that was built like a tank. The problems didn't start until just before the warranty expired. At 22,000 miles we had to have the engine computer and various sensors replaced. Oil just "disappears" and mileage is about 20mpg. Brakes and water pump went at 40,000, alternator ($600) at 42,000. The plastic parts and glue have been getting worse and worse all summer. I walked out one morning to find the passenger side trim just hanging (thank god for crazy glue). We're taking a loss and trading it in for a Toyota Matrix. Don't know if I'll trust the Germans ever again...

Love To Golf
By Bryan on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

The only problems are with the platic features in side. Cup Holders, all broke a few times.

Needs Improvements
By Choisan on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This car was my first brand new car. Here is my grand list of bad behavior by my little golf; rear break pads and rotors replaced at 20k, radio replaced due to sticky buttons, mid console replacement due to damage during radio installation, rear break pads replaced again after another 15k miles! At 40k miles, water pump and timing belt went! Covered under warranty, but they also had to replace oxygen sensor and mass air flow sensor. Bottom line, the car is neat, but reliability sucks, VW service dept. sucks, and customer care folks suck too. So, I hope that my experience will help deter future suckers from buying a German engineering nightmare.

my first VW lemon
By prof on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

I've owned VW's since 1967 and this is my first lemon. The window regulators have failed in two windows at a cost of repair of $330 each. The oil consumption was so bad at 30K miles that they had to replace the rings. Every month it seems like another $300 bucks.

Love/Hate Relationship
By ExOfficio on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This is my 4rth VW. The new Golf is by far superior. But with VW you are either lucky or poor. More often than not, the latter. While I love many things about the Golf, this will be my last VW. In 1st year - 5spd needed to be completely replaced due to a mftr defect in the 5th gear. Had to battle VW 6 mths with dangerous tranny (wouldn't go into 1st+5th gears -I had to start in 2nd!). Many other problems during the 60000 miles so far. Fun to drive but at what price. Love car but hate reliability. I had it shipped directly from Germany hoping it would prove more reliable than my previous VWs. Some who have been luckier than I, but more who swear they will never buy VWs again.