Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fun car.
By lubdosedubs

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 2000 and have had it for over 10 years now. Other than a few dings, the body still looks great and the interior is fresh. It goes like stink and handles extremely well, yet is comfortable for long distance driving. The only niggling problem I have had is the airbags; have fixed them 3 times and now the light is on again.....

Acceleration, handling, fuel economy, comfort.

Better quality airbags (or none at all).

Good, Affordable Pocket Rocket
By Mauricio Gomez Weiss

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchase my 1.8 turbo in June, until now I had to change the gasket (vw dealers in Canada kind of expensive),excellent power, handles incredibly, good acceleration. Downside part as all the comments,plastic glove box and central arm rest cover breaks easily and are expensive to replace unless you get used ones, rubbery cover on the armrest front door drivers side peels like when you are sunburned. Fuel consumption around 9.1 lt/100km could be better. Cargo space amazing (fit a 40" Sony LCD and 2 passengers plus the driver all comfortable). It's an affordable car with good power and decent fuel consumption (could be better though)

Dashboard blue lights, handling, acceleration and looks, moonroof, heated mirrors, seat comfort, cargo space

Better quality in the plastics, front cup holders location blocks the radio controls

Don't Buy This Car
By dontbuythiscar

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My 2000 Volkswagen Golf has had too many problems to list. Its factory recalls include: a bad welding on upper front control arm, dealership will replace if needed; no labeling of child safety seat teathers; hazard / turn signal relay gone bad, had mine replaced; fuel line relay, crack in seal could cause leak that could start fire, mine needed replacing. This is what I have also had to replace due to problems: turbo boost controller/blow off valve, transmission, clutch, head & tail lightbulb, front undercariage cover, front brakes, passenger seat, battery, interior seals, cruise control module, and rear cup holders. I paid $1,500 for a carmax warranty, and it was worth every penny. Their 250 point inspection is worthless. My car's a lemon that I can't get rid of.

The turbo spooling noise @ full throttle, tilting & telescoping steering wheel, monsoon sound with factory amp, 4 wheel disc brakes w/ABS, low end torque, a traction control button you can switch off for whell spin, one touch window up & down buttons, power moonroof, the overall looks and sporty feeling.

Add more horsepower, 150 doesn't cut it. Give this car better reliability, my car has been in the shop every two months since I bought it, no joke! Give it higher ground clearance, nobody likes to scrape on everything on the road. It needs better gas mileage, I have friends who have cars with V8 engines who get better gas mileage than I do. Build a better car!

blast to drive
By zoomzoom

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've had nothing but good experiences after buying my zippy 1.8t Golf. After reading reviews of Golfs from hell I decided to buy a used one from a dealership, as a precaution if anything were to go completely wrong (NY dealers give 2 months warranties). The only small problem I have is the hinge on the glove box was broken, this doesn't affect the use. I also got this car because of my growing fear of the behemoth SUVs on the road that would have totaled my little old Honda. The car has great acceleration and lots of passing power when down shifting. Overall this car is a blast to drive. By the way, it has tons of cargo space for such a little car.

The 5-speed transmission, auto windows when you put your key in, hatchback for hauling stuff, cute design - inside and out, peppy little engine, small size - makes it easy to park and drive in the cities.

6th gear for cruising at 80-90mph on long car trips, which would also greatly improve fuel economy.

fun sporty car
By pdl

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

my lease is almost up and I am
definitely going to buy it out. I
haven't had any problems with it yet,
for it is still driving like it did
when I bought it back in 2000.

heated seats, turbo, etc.