2000 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Fun car.
By lubdosedubs on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 2000 and have had it for over 10 years now. Other than a few dings, the body still looks great and the interior is fresh. It goes like stink and handles extremely well, yet is comfortable for long distance driving. The only niggling problem I have had is the airbags; have fixed them 3 times and now the light is on again.....

Good, Affordable Pocket Rocket
By Mauricio Gomez Weiss on 08/06/08 19:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchase my 1.8 turbo in June, until now I had to change the gasket (vw dealers in Canada kind of expensive),excellent power, handles incredibly, good acceleration. Downside part as all the comments,plastic glove box and central arm rest cover breaks easily and are expensive to replace unless you get used ones, rubbery cover on the armrest front door drivers side peels like when you are sunburned. Fuel consumption around 9.1 lt/100km could be better. Cargo space amazing (fit a 40" Sony LCD and 2 passengers plus the driver all comfortable). It's an affordable car with good power and decent fuel consumption (could be better though)

Don't Buy This Car
By dontbuythiscar on 10/07/05 02:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My 2000 Volkswagen Golf has had too many problems to list. Its factory recalls include: a bad welding on upper front control arm, dealership will replace if needed; no labeling of child safety seat teathers; hazard / turn signal relay gone bad, had mine replaced; fuel line relay, crack in seal could cause leak that could start fire, mine needed replacing. This is what I have also had to replace due to problems: turbo boost controller/blow off valve, transmission, clutch, head & tail lightbulb, front undercariage cover, front brakes, passenger seat, battery, interior seals, cruise control module, and rear cup holders. I paid $1,500 for a carmax warranty, and it was worth every penny. Their 250 point inspection is worthless. My car's a lemon that I can't get rid of.

blast to drive
By zoomzoom on 09/06/05 20:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've had nothing but good experiences after buying my zippy 1.8t Golf. After reading reviews of Golfs from hell I decided to buy a used one from a dealership, as a precaution if anything were to go completely wrong (NY dealers give 2 months warranties). The only small problem I have is the hinge on the glove box was broken, this doesn't affect the use. I also got this car because of my growing fear of the behemoth SUVs on the road that would have totaled my little old Honda. The car has great acceleration and lots of passing power when down shifting. Overall this car is a blast to drive. By the way, it has tons of cargo space for such a little car.

fun sporty car
By pdl on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

my lease is almost up and I am definitely going to buy it out. I haven't had any problems with it yet, for it is still driving like it did when I bought it back in 2000.

It looks good, but it doesn't work!
By Fred52 on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

We have had nothing but trouble with our golf. Windshield wiper arm/motor assembly has broken, numerous headlight and taillight outages, check engine light illuminates every so often, brake calipers locked up, (of course the windows have all fallen in), the door panel covers peeled off, the console lights flicker, the cruise control does not work consistently, and the platinum extended warranty that is supposed to cover everything has covered practically nothing...This car is a heap of junk.

Kraut rocket.
By fingyrl on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Nice car for wintry driving. At 31,000+ miles my check engine light came on and I needed a new mass air flow sensor (total repair $325). According to the Vortex website--this is a known problem, and I felt that it should have been covered under the 10 yr powertrain warranty. There was a class action filed against VWofAm so, that I think the window regulator problem others mention now falls under a separate 7 yr warranty. Other than the sensor, it has been great for me with only the usual scheduled maintenance. I'd buy this car again as a V6 GTI or trade up to another German car.

Brokenwagen
By Unhappy driver on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchased my VW new and have had numerous problems with it. Since the warranty expired, the problems have continued. Check engine light is always on; rear hatch relay went bad; overhead light completely broken; dash lights out. And now the car hesitates and will sometimes lose power, going into a "limp mode" (EPC light comes on). Service cannot diagnose or replicate the problem. The company is not addressing the pattern of unreliability with the consumers. As much as I like VW performance and styling, I would not buy another one and I advise others to avoid them.

Thought it was the perfect car
By krunky on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Bought this car new and thought that I would have it forever (see favorite features). At 35k mi, I began to question if it'd last over the log haul. 40k mi service/ inspection was bad. Rear brakes shot, LED brake light out, etc, etc. $1500+ in total repairs. Always kept up with the service, so I had a majority of the work done. When more problems started to appear, high cost and poor service were not encouraging. Decided to trade it in for a used 4WD Toyota Truck. Doesn't handle as well, but it is much more rugged/ durable. The Golf is a great car to operate, just a pain to maintain. Too much time and money for a daily driver.

Lots of quirks, but still nice to drive.
By rapparee71 on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

The car has great pick up and cruises solidly at high speed. However, it is quite noisy as the transmission is geared too low. A high, sixth gear is greatly needed. My car has had a "popping" sound when cold and a very unstable idle. No distinct cause has been found. There are tons of squeaks, creaks, and rattles that will never be solved. I sold my TDI because of these to get my present 1.8T. And both cars were made in Wolfsburg! The door latches have been replaced, window regulators, mass air flow sensor, injector seals, turbo boost valve, and diverter valve. If you want a Golf, get the TDI.