Used 1999 Volkswagen Golf GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

It's a Lemon
By Golf is a Lemon

1999 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

My 1999 Golf was a lemon from when I bought it. Since that time the window has fallen out twice, I have spent more than $1,000 trying to get the air conditioner fixed, and $300 fixing the wind shield wiper system. Other things that have broken include the review view mirror, the radio, the glove compartment, the stick shift, the rear seat lock and the electrical system. It appears that most things are held together with plastic reflecting its Mexican assembly. I would not recommend this car to anyone unless they are a mechanic and will never buy a Volkswagen again.

I love Hatchbacks!
By heffa

1999 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

When you see the car you thing oh that car is so little. But you can fit five people pretty comforably in it and the back seat can lay down for when you have something big to haul or for a drive in movie. Not only that but it's really easy to put down the seats. The only thing i wish is that my cup holders were bigger. I get about 22-25 mpg in the city! I haven't got to test out the traveling mpg but i'm thinking about 8 to 10 more miles to the gallon.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, locking e brake

Suggested Improvements

bigger cup holders

VW has made me believe...
By thagley

1999 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

Very happy with my VW Golf after nearly four years. It's my first new car after college, and for the money it's been an excellent vehicle. I've had one or two issues, but the warranty or VW has helped me nearly every time. The only bad stuff happened when I took it somewhere else when it should've gone back to the dealer. I don't miss having power windows or four doors, as the standard features more than make up for that. Some people must have bad luck, because I've never had a problem so bad that I wanted to get rid of it. In fact, my wife's Camry is up next year, and we're already scouting which VW is going to replace it! VW has a fan for life in me.

Favorite Features

Sporty, inexpensive, good handling and great gas mileage. Great first car or college car. Full sized spare is fantastic. People scoff at how much I can carry in the hatchback until I put the seats down; it makes a beliver out of them too.

Suggested Improvements

I have to gripe about cupholders too, but Europeans don't seem to require the mammoth amount of liquids Americans always have in the car, so I doubt they're going to change it. But if they make the 6 disc changer standard, I'll try to forget the cupholders...