Used 1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

4 years later....
By RyanM

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

I've owned the car for four years, and while it did have some initial quality issues (paneling falling off, malfunctioning instrument cluster) it has remained a fairly reliable car. The Wolfsburg is packed with all the gadgets (sunroof, power everything, CD changer, etc.) and I've had only one problem with these - that being a rear window that would stick. Overall, I would say that this car has been worth what I paid for it. Nothing more. Fortunately, and for whatever reason, they have a good resale value.

Favorite Features

Cruise, A/C, power windows

Suggested Improvements

Better quality, better styling

This car is a dream come true
By Golf-er

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

This car has got it all. The Wolfsburg Edition represents the very last batch of "old" Golfs. By the time it was made VW got the art and science of making the winning hatchback down-pat. Nothing breaks it - ever. It runs like a Swiss clock. On top of its reliability, the Wolfsburg Edition boasts *all* the gadgets you may ever want - a 6-disc CD changer, moon roof, everything that could be power is power, the steering wheel, the shift knob and the boot are wrapped in leather, etc.

Favorite Features

The car is so compact, that at times you can park it *between* two parked vehicles where no one else would fit. GREAT for cities - e.g., New York, Boston, etc. Also, got a great sound system and NEVER BREAKS.

Suggested Improvements

Make more!

Nice Grocery Getter
By mark

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

We have had this car going on three years now and the problems seem to have leveled off. I have never seen a car with so many electrical failures and they keep happening, all of the power windows, power locks, brake light assemblies, window wipers selector switch just about any electrical assembly has failed in this car and when I tell VW about the problems they say "well it is 5 years old" I had a 16 year old accord with none of these problems. I have noticed now that people have similar problems with even the new ones. I have to say we are very disappointed and would not recommend buying one

Favorite Features

I love the style. It has a nice red color, too. It has great seats, a nice dash, and the liftback is great. The Wolfsburg Edition is loaded with nice features. It has good viability and seat position. Its fit and finish is very good.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical components are garbage. They really have to work on this car to ever have me as a return customer. Its gas mileage for a 4 cylinder is not good, 35 mpg, but i hear the new ones are better.