1999 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Nice Grocery Getter
By mark on 02/20/07 10:30 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

We have had this car going on three years now and the problems seem to have leveled off. I have never seen a car with so many electrical failures and they keep happening, all of the power windows, power locks, brake light assemblies, window wipers selector switch just about any electrical assembly has failed in this car and when I tell VW about the problems they say "well it is 5 years old" I had a 16 year old accord with none of these problems. I have noticed now that people have similar problems with even the new ones. I have to say we are very disappointed and would not recommend buying one

This car is a dream come true
By Golf-er on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

This car has got it all. The Wolfsburg Edition represents the very last batch of "old" Golfs. By the time it was made VW got the art and science of making the winning hatchback down-pat. Nothing breaks it - ever. It runs like a Swiss clock. On top of its reliability, the Wolfsburg Edition boasts *all* the gadgets you may ever want - a 6-disc CD changer, moon roof, everything that could be power is power, the steering wheel, the shift knob and the boot are wrapped in leather, etc.

4 years later....
By RyanM on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

I've owned the car for four years, and while it did have some initial quality issues (paneling falling off, malfunctioning instrument cluster) it has remained a fairly reliable car. The Wolfsburg is packed with all the gadgets (sunroof, power everything, CD changer, etc.) and I've had only one problem with these - that being a rear window that would stick. Overall, I would say that this car has been worth what I paid for it. Nothing more. Fortunately, and for whatever reason, they have a good resale value.