1999 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great First Car!!
By Nick on 03/31/09 03:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I got this Golf 2 door as my first car, and so far I love it! It is sporty and small, but roomy inside. Mine is dark blue with tinted windows, and that adds to the sporty look. I especially like the 5 speed manual! The manual is fun to drive, and gets you better gas mileage. Other than a quirky keyless entry system that randomly stopped and started working, the car is perfect with 90,000 miles on it.

Nice Grocery Getter
By mark on 02/20/07 10:30 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

We have had this car going on three years now and the problems seem to have leveled off. I have never seen a car with so many electrical failures and they keep happening, all of the power windows, power locks, brake light assemblies, window wipers selector switch just about any electrical assembly has failed in this car and when I tell VW about the problems they say "well it is 5 years old" I had a 16 year old accord with none of these problems. I have noticed now that people have similar problems with even the new ones. I have to say we are very disappointed and would not recommend buying one

It's a Lemon
By Golf is a Lemon on 09/14/06 05:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

My 1999 Golf was a lemon from when I bought it. Since that time the window has fallen out twice, I have spent more than $1,000 trying to get the air conditioner fixed, and $300 fixing the wind shield wiper system. Other things that have broken include the review view mirror, the radio, the glove compartment, the stick shift, the rear seat lock and the electrical system. It appears that most things are held together with plastic reflecting its Mexican assembly. I would not recommend this car to anyone unless they are a mechanic and will never buy a Volkswagen again.

1999 Volkswagen Golf
By Curt on 02/22/06 02:08 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I love VW. The Golf / GTI are my favorite modelss. This 2.0L GL is decent at 115hp and zips me from place to place with great fuel economy. I bought it used from a dealership and got hosed by them. Within first week motor mount broke and they wouldn't pick up the bill. Oh well, after that it has been smooth sailing. I am very happy with this car's ride comfort and handling. I love to weave through traffic in my VW hatchbacks.

Single person's dream
By TDiMonkey on 09/03/05 18:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL TDi 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Overall the 1999 VW golf is a fantastic car. It has the handling of a go-kart, fuel economy like a moped, and acceleration like a puma. The TDI engine is exceptional with its milage and reliability. In burning biodiesel, I expect to reach 300,000 miles without any major issues, if the body lasts that long (salty Maine air, roads).

VW Automatic - gas hog
By Ted C. on 08/22/05 08:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (midyear)

Great vehicle, but with an automatic transmission it's a gas hog. My average highway mileage is only 28.8 MPG. I've had a few tanks in the low 30's MPG. The city mileage is around 20 MPG. I've had it checked by a garage twice and they didn't find anything wrong. Had it into a VW dealer once for another problem and the representative didn't think that 28.8 MPG for highway mileage for an automatic was out of line.

First Diesel
By fowvay on 07/30/05 20:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL TDi 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

This was my first new VW and it has turned out to be one of my best cars. I have had to educate myself about the mechanicals of the vehicle because the dealer network is useless but this has made the ownership experience quite fun. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and the aftermarket segment supports these vehicles beautifully.

Golf
By al step on 05/13/05 22:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Worst radio reception I've every had in a car. A lot of little things went wrong (fuses blowing out, engine warning light going on) and a big thing, air conditioner broke down at 60,000 miles.

A TRUE VOLKSWAGEN LOVER
By TJMCKAY on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (midyear)

You must be a true volkswagen lover to appreciate the smooth ride, great mileage, "too cool" exterior, and ample space this car provides! This was my 1st car and I still love it like as if I just brought it yesterday. It has never been in the shop for repairs! With the exception of a loose knob to adjust the passenger seat - my Golf is still delivering outstanding reliability and quality service.

I love Hatchbacks!
By heffa on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

When you see the car you thing oh that car is so little. But you can fit five people pretty comforably in it and the back seat can lay down for when you have something big to haul or for a drive in movie. Not only that but it's really easy to put down the seats. The only thing i wish is that my cup holders were bigger. I get about 22-25 mpg in the city! I haven't got to test out the traveling mpg but i'm thinking about 8 to 10 more miles to the gallon.