Used 1999 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great First Car!!
By Nick

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I got this Golf 2 door as my first car, and so far I love it! It is sporty and small, but roomy inside. Mine is dark blue with tinted windows, and that adds to the sporty look. I especially like the 5 speed manual! The manual is fun to drive, and gets you better gas mileage. Other than a quirky keyless entry system that randomly stopped and started working, the car is perfect with 90,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual Size Looks

Suggested Improvements

New cup holder design (already improved in the newer models). Mine won't go all the way in.

Nice Grocery Getter
By mark

1999 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

We have had this car going on three years now and the problems seem to have leveled off. I have never seen a car with so many electrical failures and they keep happening, all of the power windows, power locks, brake light assemblies, window wipers selector switch just about any electrical assembly has failed in this car and when I tell VW about the problems they say "well it is 5 years old" I had a 16 year old accord with none of these problems. I have noticed now that people have similar problems with even the new ones. I have to say we are very disappointed and would not recommend buying one

Favorite Features

I love the style. It has a nice red color, too. It has great seats, a nice dash, and the liftback is great. The Wolfsburg Edition is loaded with nice features. It has good viability and seat position. Its fit and finish is very good.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical components are garbage. They really have to work on this car to ever have me as a return customer. Its gas mileage for a 4 cylinder is not good, 35 mpg, but i hear the new ones are better.

It's a Lemon
By Golf is a Lemon

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

My 1999 Golf was a lemon from when I bought it. Since that time the window has fallen out twice, I have spent more than $1,000 trying to get the air conditioner fixed, and $300 fixing the wind shield wiper system. Other things that have broken include the review view mirror, the radio, the glove compartment, the stick shift, the rear seat lock and the electrical system. It appears that most things are held together with plastic reflecting its Mexican assembly. I would not recommend this car to anyone unless they are a mechanic and will never buy a Volkswagen again.

1999 Volkswagen Golf
By Curt

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I love VW. The Golf / GTI are my favorite modelss. This 2.0L GL is decent at 115hp and zips me from place to place with great fuel economy. I bought it used from a dealership and got hosed by them. Within first week motor mount broke and they wouldn't pick up the bill. Oh well, after that it has been smooth sailing. I am very happy with this car's ride comfort and handling. I love to weave through traffic in my VW hatchbacks.

Favorite Features

I like the cargo space that one gets when they fold down the Golf's rear seats. this car has plenty of room for the driver and pessengers. It is very stylish and fun car to drive. Its base sound system is amazingly powerful with its Pioneer CD player set for super-BASS and the LOUD system on.

Suggested Improvements

The manual transmission needs 6 speeds. The 2.0L engine could have been improoved with 16v DOHC instead of leaving it as 8v SOHC. The climate controls should be up top like in the MK2 Golf instead of on the bottom and blocked by shifter.

Single person's dream
By TDiMonkey

1999 Volkswagen Golf GL TDi 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Overall the 1999 VW golf is a fantastic car. It has the handling of a go-kart, fuel economy like a moped, and acceleration like a puma. The TDI engine is exceptional with its milage and reliability. In burning biodiesel, I expect to reach 300,000 miles without any major issues, if the body lasts that long (salty Maine air, roads).

Favorite Features

Phenomenal fuel economy, peppy handling, and it oozes torque. The diesel engine does NOT handle like the diesels we all remember Americans making in the 70's.

Suggested Improvements

The center console is easily replaced with one with cup holders and an armrest, which makes it far more comfortable. The cup holder built into the dash is less than ideal. A sixth gear for highway travel would allow one to drive at 75+ and still break 50 mpg.