Driving fun combined with cargo space!
By ksagmoen on
1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback
I've had VW's for many years ('80 Rabbit, '88 Golf, and this '98 Golf). In general, they're great cars and I love to drive them. Great gas mileage, great cargo space, and a TON of fun to drive. I highly recommend getting the standard transmission. I wish I would have gotten the CD changer for the trunk. I've had a few problems with this particular vehicle, though. The radiator sprung a leak (at a seam) at 28K miles -- VW wouldn't pay for fixing it. The seat part of the bucket seat tends to flatten out -- I had to replace the driver's at about 25K and I'll have to replace the passenger one soon (51K). I also had exhaust problems, but I think that was my fault.
Favorite Features
I love, love, LOVE the way it drives. Driving the Golf is a pleasure! It's got plenty of git-up-and-go when needed. Also, it's got a TON of interior room for moving things -- just fold down the back seat and you can easily fit chairs, boxes, or a ton of dirty laundry!
Suggested Improvements
Only the driver's cup holder is of any use, and even then most cups don't fit into the tiny hole. Those that do will invariably bump into the ash tray above it.