1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
great daily driver
By bricknord on 10/20/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

Bought a pristine K2 with heated seats for $4k-ish. Great daily driver. Good on gas, just enough pep, simple to work on yourself. Airbags, so relatively safe. No better $4k beater out there. 5 way heated seats a bonus in winter. Nice cold A/C.

Good car... until Maintenance and Parts
By MrMaynard on 03/06/09 11:45 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

I purchased my Golf K2 2 half years ago with 100K miles. Great little peppy car. But the back windows were dead and sunroof wouldn't open. I though it was a good car at start. But when the maintenance comes, you may wanna reconsider. All VW engines now must have Full Synthetic oil (which is pain in my area), sunroofs are known for leaks and failure, parts are way overpriced, or cant be found. Even repairs from Dealers are much more than compared to other car makers. They say the car the nickel and dimes the most from VW is the Corrado.. honestly, I think its all! 1st VW I owned.. last VW I'll own. Maybe I should have gotten an Older Beetle. Those hold up MUCH better than these modern VWs.

Volkswagen Golf K2
By Luna on 07/27/05 23:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

I love my car for various reasons. The interior design is nice with a very sturdy black fabric with red stiching. The stick has a sporty look. Much nicer than the usually boring interior design for the Golf. Also resisted my 6 year old spilling food in the car for years. It's easy to park in the city yet I've been able to move beds and bookshelves. My main complaint has been the molding on the side doors: a couple of years ago they started falling off and ultimately I had to spend hundreds of dollars to replace them (also made the mistake to throw them away when they could have been glued back on). Turned out to be an expensive feature. Tires seem to fail too.