1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
great daily driver
By bricknord on 10/20/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

Bought a pristine K2 with heated seats for $4k-ish. Great daily driver. Good on gas, just enough pep, simple to work on yourself. Airbags, so relatively safe. No better $4k beater out there. 5 way heated seats a bonus in winter. Nice cold A/C.

Good car... until Maintenance and Parts
By MrMaynard on 03/06/09 11:45 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

I purchased my Golf K2 2 half years ago with 100K miles. Great little peppy car. But the back windows were dead and sunroof wouldn't open. I though it was a good car at start. But when the maintenance comes, you may wanna reconsider. All VW engines now must have Full Synthetic oil (which is pain in my area), sunroofs are known for leaks and failure, parts are way overpriced, or cant be found. Even repairs from Dealers are much more than compared to other car makers. They say the car the nickel and dimes the most from VW is the Corrado.. honestly, I think its all! 1st VW I owned.. last VW I'll own. Maybe I should have gotten an Older Beetle. Those hold up MUCH better than these modern VWs.

First 10 year car!
By Mayja on 09/25/08 18:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Wolfsburg 4dr Hatchback

Trading in the ol' girl. Bought her when we got married. sensors and exhaust manifold is forcing the retirement. The thing handles awesome and still and gets 34 avg mpg. little rust in the hatch, looks great though. May buy the Nissan Rogue. The VW is a little narrow for regular sized guys.

Cheaper than what we expected
By kyboy on 09/12/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

Cons: Rear CD-changer won't release at 20k, automatic trans that won't shift up on a warm day at 30k, Door trim falling off at 35k, rattle in dash at 50k, oil leak at 55k with fumes into pass compartment. Pros: Performance, mpg, interior room especially for cargo hauling, the wonderful mechanically adjustable drivers seat, ride and looks (except for the headlight bezels, which looked outdated even in 98).

Fun and reliable so far
By Scott on 05/11/06 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car several months ago with about 68,000 miles, and I've put a couple thousand more miles on it. So far my only maintenance has been scheduled items like replacing the timing belt and new tires.

Volkswagen Golf K2
By Luna on 07/27/05 23:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

I love my car for various reasons. The interior design is nice with a very sturdy black fabric with red stiching. The stick has a sporty look. Much nicer than the usually boring interior design for the Golf. Also resisted my 6 year old spilling food in the car for years. It's easy to park in the city yet I've been able to move beds and bookshelves. My main complaint has been the molding on the side doors: a couple of years ago they started falling off and ultimately I had to spend hundreds of dollars to replace them (also made the mistake to throw them away when they could have been glued back on). Turned out to be an expensive feature. Tires seem to fail too.

Please consider the following
By marcusx9 on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

This car has been a nightmare. I highly advise that if you are considering a VW you should read Consumer Reports: there you will find that VW is next to last in reliability among ALL manufacturers and the Golf/ Jetta platform is actually off the charts in terms of poor performance. My wife and I annually pay over $2000 in maintenance and we are the original owners, the car has always been serviced regularly at the dealer, and has never been abused. In fact, my Honda which is 3 years older and has 60,0000 more miles on it is far more reliable. Please keep this in mind when you make your decision.

Zippy golf is way cool
By gurusimran on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

Our VW Golf is great. Good gas mileage, fun to drive, low maintainance costs, room for 5 and great cargo capacity (for it's size) with the rear seats down. PROS Gas mileage Fun to drive Comfortable German engineering Reliable CONS Little noisy (typical VW engine) VERDICT - great car

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By JIM IN P'COLA on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

A BLAST TO DRIVE. EASILY CRUISES AT 75 ON THE INTERSTATE WITH PLENTY OF POWER LEFT. SOUND SYSTEM FIRST RATE. I'M 6'2" AND IT HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH LEG ROOM (ONLY SMALL CRITTERS IN BACK SEAT). THIS DEALERSHIP HAS GREAT SERVICE AT REASONABLE PRICES. MY NEXT CAR WILL BE ANOTHER VW.

Fun to drive, easy to live with
By fervor on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

This car is the only car in a house with 2 adults, a large dog, and a baby and we are hardly ever lacking for space. The best thing about this car is the versatility of changing from a 4-passenger car to a small utility hauler. Cupholders are terrible. Reliability has been good except for a number of small problems that keep popping up (horn and A/C switches stopped working, turn signal sticks, trim falls off, etc.). Still burns no oil at 75,000 miles. Great car that handles great but acts much bigger than it is.