Used 1998 Volkswagen Golf GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Cheaper than what we expected
By kyboy

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Cons: Rear CD-changer won't release at 20k, automatic trans that won't shift up on a warm day at 30k, Door trim falling off at 35k, rattle in dash at 50k, oil leak at 55k with fumes into pass compartment. Pros: Performance, mpg, interior room especially for cargo hauling, the wonderful mechanically adjustable drivers seat, ride and looks (except for the headlight bezels, which looked outdated even in 98).

Favorite Features

Cheap exterior door trim that won't stay on (eye-roll-here).

Suggested Improvements

V styling on new VWs suck, and for reliability we're going back to Toyota.

Fun and reliable so far
By Scott

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car several months ago with about 68,000 miles, and I've put a couple thousand more miles on it. So far my only maintenance has been scheduled items like replacing the timing belt and new tires.

Favorite Features

This car is fun to drive. I like how there are not not many others on the road. It has great brakes (no ABS). It gets fair highway mileage (around 30 MPG). I also like the clean cockpit styling, rear interval wiper, and good clutch. It is nice how the daytime running lights only use headlights, not sidelights, taillights, dash lights, etc., that causes Volvos and Saabs to chew up bulbs.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are a bit too firm, the "premium" stereo only has one FM preset band and poor bass response, and the 5-speed shifter can be rubbery.

Please consider the following
By marcusx9

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This car has been a nightmare. I highly advise that if you are considering a VW you should read Consumer Reports: there you will find that VW is next to last in reliability among ALL manufacturers and the Golf/ Jetta platform is actually off the charts in terms of poor performance. My wife and I annually pay over $2000 in maintenance and we are the original owners, the car has always been serviced regularly at the dealer, and has never been abused. In fact, my Honda which is 3 years older and has 60,0000 more miles on it is far more reliable. Please keep this in mind when you make your decision.

Favorite Features

none: the reliability issue ruined any desireability long ago

Suggested Improvements

Briefly, better component design, standardized engineering, more attention to functionality.

Zippy golf is way cool
By gurusimran

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Our VW Golf is great. Good gas mileage, fun to drive, low maintainance costs, room for 5 and great cargo capacity (for it's size) with the rear seats down. PROS Gas mileage Fun to drive Comfortable German engineering Reliable CONS Little noisy (typical VW engine) VERDICT - great car

Favorite Features

Zippy - engine and size make car fun to drive. It's not blazing fast its zippy.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce engine and road noise (more insulation) other than that it's great.

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By JIM IN P'COLA

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

A BLAST TO DRIVE. EASILY CRUISES AT 75 ON THE INTERSTATE WITH PLENTY OF POWER LEFT. SOUND SYSTEM FIRST RATE. I'M 6'2" AND IT HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH LEG ROOM (ONLY SMALL CRITTERS IN BACK SEAT). THIS DEALERSHIP HAS GREAT SERVICE AT REASONABLE PRICES. MY NEXT CAR WILL BE ANOTHER VW.

Favorite Features

FUN TO DRIVE.

Suggested Improvements

1. BIGGER CUP HOLDERS (OUT OF WAY OF SHIFTER 2. DON'T USE WINDSHIELD WIPERS WITH WINDOW OPEN 3. PANELS UNDER DOORS IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP CLEAN. 4. GAS MILEAGE SAME AS MY 2000 DODGE CARAVAN 6CYL(MY LEAD FOOT???)