1998 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Cheaper than what we expected
By kyboy on 09/12/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Cons: Rear CD-changer won't release at 20k, automatic trans that won't shift up on a warm day at 30k, Door trim falling off at 35k, rattle in dash at 50k, oil leak at 55k with fumes into pass compartment. Pros: Performance, mpg, interior room especially for cargo hauling, the wonderful mechanically adjustable drivers seat, ride and looks (except for the headlight bezels, which looked outdated even in 98).

Fun and reliable so far
By Scott on 05/11/06 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car several months ago with about 68,000 miles, and I've put a couple thousand more miles on it. So far my only maintenance has been scheduled items like replacing the timing belt and new tires.

Please consider the following
By marcusx9 on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This car has been a nightmare. I highly advise that if you are considering a VW you should read Consumer Reports: there you will find that VW is next to last in reliability among ALL manufacturers and the Golf/ Jetta platform is actually off the charts in terms of poor performance. My wife and I annually pay over $2000 in maintenance and we are the original owners, the car has always been serviced regularly at the dealer, and has never been abused. In fact, my Honda which is 3 years older and has 60,0000 more miles on it is far more reliable. Please keep this in mind when you make your decision.

Zippy golf is way cool
By gurusimran on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Our VW Golf is great. Good gas mileage, fun to drive, low maintainance costs, room for 5 and great cargo capacity (for it's size) with the rear seats down. PROS Gas mileage Fun to drive Comfortable German engineering Reliable CONS Little noisy (typical VW engine) VERDICT - great car

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By JIM IN P'COLA on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

A BLAST TO DRIVE. EASILY CRUISES AT 75 ON THE INTERSTATE WITH PLENTY OF POWER LEFT. SOUND SYSTEM FIRST RATE. I'M 6'2" AND IT HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH LEG ROOM (ONLY SMALL CRITTERS IN BACK SEAT). THIS DEALERSHIP HAS GREAT SERVICE AT REASONABLE PRICES. MY NEXT CAR WILL BE ANOTHER VW.

Fun to drive, easy to live with
By fervor on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This car is the only car in a house with 2 adults, a large dog, and a baby and we are hardly ever lacking for space. The best thing about this car is the versatility of changing from a 4-passenger car to a small utility hauler. Cupholders are terrible. Reliability has been good except for a number of small problems that keep popping up (horn and A/C switches stopped working, turn signal sticks, trim falls off, etc.). Still burns no oil at 75,000 miles. Great car that handles great but acts much bigger than it is.

the little puppy that could
By djk231 on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

A great car for it's size. Great gas mileage. Good power for a little engine.

love my golf
By sweet p on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Great car!Bought it new out of the showroom, and never looked back.Had a couple of minor problems -steering column noises in hot weather (expansion), which VW service looked at even after warranty expired, and when they couldn't find the problem they took it apart and replaced some parts. Very, VERY impressed with Volkswagen's cust. service. They seem to take it very seriously as a company, and it has definately won me as a lifetime customer (after dealing with FORD - FixOrRepairDaily- with my first car) Alas, I have found the Jetta GLS 1.8T of my dreams, and will be trading my baby in tomorrow :( Looking forward to many happy years with my new Jetta!

Crash Test
By Michael236 on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This car didn't fare too well in my most recent crash. I was going 25mph and the car is totaled.

Driving fun combined with cargo space!
By ksagmoen on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I've had VW's for many years ('80 Rabbit, '88 Golf, and this '98 Golf). In general, they're great cars and I love to drive them. Great gas mileage, great cargo space, and a TON of fun to drive. I highly recommend getting the standard transmission. I wish I would have gotten the CD changer for the trunk. I've had a few problems with this particular vehicle, though. The radiator sprung a leak (at a seam) at 28K miles -- VW wouldn't pay for fixing it. The seat part of the bucket seat tends to flatten out -- I had to replace the driver's at about 25K and I'll have to replace the passenger one soon (51K). I also had exhaust problems, but I think that was my fault.