1997 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great first car
By vw_574 on 09/26/12 09:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Golf K2 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 63,000 miles on it in May of 2011 and I had never driven a manual car before then. This car is easy to leave how to drive manual, and is very fun to drive because it hugs corners. Although it does lack power, it is still a great car and if you can find one with low miles I would highly recommend buying one for yourself.

Wow...
By atovar on 02/28/12 11:35 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

While this is not the most appealing car it has been incredibly reliable. 15 years old and the only thing I've had to fix since acquiring it 6 years ago was a oil pressure sending unit for $60! My 2001 Jetta was a disaster of a car...constantly breaking down. The VW's of the 1990's are amazingly reliable vehicles.

First Car
By cao12 on 01/20/12 14:50 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

This was (and still is) my first car that I got in high school. I got it with 68,000 miles in 07 and have put on about 30,000 since then. Even with only 4 cylinders I have no problems getting up to speed on the highway and passing people. The gas mileage is ok around town but between 50-75 it really rocks. The interior was cheaply made, and there are a lot of cheap plastic pieces, but at 15 years old I'm not surprised that most of it is deteriorating. The biggest problem I had was with an intermittent speedometer, but I plan on running this car into the ground. If you can find one, you will not be disappointed.

Efficient transportation
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I inherited this car with 31,000 miles on it, in practically mint condition. Aside from precautionary maintenance,new belts,replace brake fluid,etc , the car has performed perfectly. I now have 41,000 miles on it.The car gets about 30-35 mpg, has good acceleration on the highway, and cruises easily at 70 mph. Plenty of space inside.

The long history of it
By Smitty on 03/15/09 22:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought my Golf new in May '97. Kept it simple by NOT having power door locks, air conditioning or auto trans. I now have 203,125 miles on the odometer, and everything is working great. I have had some minor trim problems years ago, but resolved by non-vw bodyshop. I've had the front and rear brakes done once each (wear and tear) and I'm now on my second complete muffler replacement. I have not experienced any of the wiper/door lock failures, though locks freeze up easy. driving is manageable in snow but not great. I'm still on the same clutch. I regularly have VW maintenance @ 5000mi to take care of it and performs better on 91 octane gas. Is is fun? Got caught doing 113mi/hr in a 50 zone.

Rubber moldings and then all that jazz
By DSullivan on 07/23/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Golf Jazz 4dr Hatchback

Good little car. Excellent mileage an easy 32 mpg with no effort, comfy, saucy. Only needs regular upkeep, but then there's those disappearing rubber moldings, get some good glue. Sound system is really nice. A/C, when working, is good. All kinds of space for carrying things. Suspension excellent. A tight little car with very few squeaks but a paucity of quality when it comes to interior plastic (knobs i.e. seat, radio, cup holder is laughable) I'll keep it for a few more years.

This engine won't die!
By 3stateVW on 06/25/08 22:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

After having my first VW at age 17, I went to a new VW at age 22. The Golf was an affordable first car and now, after three kids, I can't get this car to quit. The engine is true VW form as it goes as long as the electronics will let it. The zippiness is a blast on curvy hills. The time in the shop was plenty (two clutch cables, new transmission, and alarm system malfunction) in the first 3 years and then, nothing but regular maintenance for 7 years. Now the seats and door locks are failing, but it still gets 29 mpg after 11 years, 135,000 miles and moving 3 states. As much as we want a new car, this one could keep the gas bills down for years to come.

Good basic transportation
By dalton on 05/18/08 22:41 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Bought this from a friend last year and has been a surprising delight to own. I have both an older BMW 7 series and Porsche 944. I enjoy driving this day to day so much that the other cars pretty much stay parked. It's tight, nimble and can cruise for hours at 85 mph while sipping between 30-32 mpg. I'm six foot three and have no problem fitting in even with the moon roof! It is almost 11 years old and after having it detailed, look like brand new.

Great Economical Car with Zip
By jtripper22 on 02/24/08 10:42 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Golf Jazz 4dr Hatchback

Living in Seattle, it's great to have a car this size to park downtown. The gas mileage is very good too, and as a third owner I've been impressed to have very little go wrong. Valve head gasket is a rubber piece whose integrity lessens over time and the leaking oil compromises the coolant flange, so they'll often go together, but with any car this old rubber pieces will wear. I have had those go, but everything else is solid, and I've been happy to stop buying cheap cars to spend a little more with reliable results. Room enough for snowboarding gear (with seats down), and decent room for 4 (or 5 in a pinch). I love the stick-shift - it makes merging so easing which is useful in a city.

Hot Hatch!
By metri91 on 08/15/07 17:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Golf K2 4dr Hatchback

This is a sweet car to drive. Of course it has aftermarket exhaust and a new stereo system and non-stock wheels, but it's very fun to drive. Gas mileage has averaged around 31 mpg. You won't be disappointed if you're looking for a cheap, easy-to-upgrade, fun-to-drive car.