1996 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: No Complaints; Love it

1996 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

No Complaints; Love it
By Robert on

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this baby new in '96, have 105,000 miles on it. No major, unexpected repairs, except mufflers (3 times); and the usual tune-ups, tires. The paint still looks great, I waxed yearly for first few years. It's built solidly, the interior is spartan but very functional (ingenious use of texturized plastics). It has never had a squeak or rattle, and still looks great in and out. I'll drive it until it dies, which might be a long time - as I see other reviews with much more than 100,000 miles. This is an uncomplicated, reliable - (Knock on Wood) - fun to drive, solid car, and I love it.

Great four-speed automatic transmission. Revs stay low at highway speeds. Great road manners. Highway driving is solid, steady. Premium sound system is great, 8 speakers. Great steering.

None really, this is not a BMW M3 after all. I've gotten what I paid for and I can deal with it's very short list of limitations. It would have been nice to have rear headrests.