1996 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
96 Golf
By Ryelland on 06/23/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I purchased her online through E-Bay. The selling price was $3500, which at the time, was about $800 under book value. I flew out to Logan Intnl, picked her up and drove her back to Michigan all in a 26 hour period. Even with the flight, I was under book price, and she managed 39 mpg on the trip across New York state, and Canada. I have had 5 years of trouble free ownership, this past year she had some electrical difficulties, but I will get that repaired. The 2 liter, four door, manual transmission was what I wanted and needed for a 3 person family car. I have driven her to New Jersey once, and the UP of Michigan about 5 times. She waxes my wifes Taurus on the road, and is comfortable.

Bad Experience.
By loppyshingers on 04/07/07 00:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This is the first car I bought and, while it doesn't look bad from the outside, I have had an extensive list of mechanical problems with this piece of junk. In two years I have brought this thing to the shop for repair at least once every three months, with about an average bill of $80 per visit. Wheel bearings a few times a year, two water pumps, chronic bulb burn-outs, busted AC and cruise are too expensive to have fixed, airbag light is on, rapid rust corrosion, replaced trail arm bushing (almost killed us), NO GLOVE COMPARTMENT, 3 hour wheel alignment, chronic off-center steering, almost no heat in winter, broken window assembly, the list goes on... Good on fuel though.

VW Golf
By Wes on 06/09/06 03:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car earlier this year, and I drive it extremely hard. I've had no problems with it as far as repairs and such, which for me is unusual. The car has a decent top speed, although the acceleration is really bad. Its handling is pretty good for FWD. It's good on gas, looks good, is very sturdy, and is a well made automobile for sure.

No Complaints; Love it
By Robert on 10/14/05 15:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this baby new in '96, have 105,000 miles on it. No major, unexpected repairs, except mufflers (3 times); and the usual tune-ups, tires. The paint still looks great, I waxed yearly for first few years. It's built solidly, the interior is spartan but very functional (ingenious use of texturized plastics). It has never had a squeak or rattle, and still looks great in and out. I'll drive it until it dies, which might be a long time - as I see other reviews with much more than 100,000 miles. This is an uncomplicated, reliable - (Knock on Wood) - fun to drive, solid car, and I love it.

Great overall car!
By Wrldleadck5 on 04/25/05 10:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Bought it w/ 120k on it and now has 202k.. Very reliable car, fun to drive and quick enough for me. Only had to replace the normal wear/tear parts.. Struts, rotors, plugs/wires, ext.. Gets excellent gas mileage 26-28 city and 28-34 highway. Hoping it will last me another 100k which it's on the right track for.. Keep up w/ your oil changes and the engine should last you forever.

Reliable build to last good performance
By Carlo de Wit on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Excellent vehicle. Drives and handles like a sports car (topped at 125mph), is very reliable and durable. I didn’t expect any different from VW. I own a passat as well and the Golf does not under perform to the Passat. Put more than 160k miles on it and it still looks and drives like new.

From Riches to Rags
By Polecat on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I've had two VWs - one a '91 Jetta diesel and the '96 Golf. The Jetta was one of the best cars I've ever owned, and the Golf by far the worst. We'e had major, expensive failures of practically every system - transmission, engine, air conditioning, etc etc etc. Latest repair it needs significantly exceeds the resale value of the car.

my review
By ricardo007 on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

feels like a sport care. responsive. has the feel of a german car. economical.

Buy Me
By Stevo on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I love my car. It's small enough to go anywhere, has enough oomph to drive under any condition, and is a comfortable ride. The only think I could recommend is that if you do buy one of these bad boys, is change the air-filter for an aftermarket one. It will give you a big boost in performance.