Used 1996 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

96 Golf
By Ryelland

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I purchased her online through E-Bay. The selling price was $3500, which at the time, was about $800 under book value. I flew out to Logan Intnl, picked her up and drove her back to Michigan all in a 26 hour period. Even with the flight, I was under book price, and she managed 39 mpg on the trip across New York state, and Canada. I have had 5 years of trouble free ownership, this past year she had some electrical difficulties, but I will get that repaired. The 2 liter, four door, manual transmission was what I wanted and needed for a 3 person family car. I have driven her to New Jersey once, and the UP of Michigan about 5 times. She waxes my wifes Taurus on the road, and is comfortable.

That peppy 2 liter, out accelerates V6s with ease.

The seats are showing wear and break- down.

Bad Experience.
By loppyshingers

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This is the first car I bought and, while it doesn't look bad from the outside, I have had an extensive list of mechanical problems with this piece of junk. In two years I have brought this thing to the shop for repair at least once every three months, with about an average bill of $80 per visit. Wheel bearings a few times a year, two water pumps, chronic bulb burn-outs, busted AC and cruise are too expensive to have fixed, airbag light is on, rapid rust corrosion, replaced trail arm bushing (almost killed us), NO GLOVE COMPARTMENT, 3 hour wheel alignment, chronic off-center steering, almost no heat in winter, broken window assembly, the list goes on... Good on fuel though.

Good on fuel.

Refer to review.

VW Golf
By Wes

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car earlier this year, and I drive it extremely hard. I've had no problems with it as far as repairs and such, which for me is unusual. The car has a decent top speed, although the acceleration is really bad. Its handling is pretty good for FWD. It's good on gas, looks good, is very sturdy, and is a well made automobile for sure.

I love the design, the quality, and just the way everything is put together so nicely.

My car didn't come with a glove box and the center console is extremely small. But the first thing I would upgrade would be the brakes, its like trying to stop a train!

No Complaints; Love it
By Robert

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this baby new in '96, have 105,000 miles on it. No major, unexpected repairs, except mufflers (3 times); and the usual tune-ups, tires. The paint still looks great, I waxed yearly for first few years. It's built solidly, the interior is spartan but very functional (ingenious use of texturized plastics). It has never had a squeak or rattle, and still looks great in and out. I'll drive it until it dies, which might be a long time - as I see other reviews with much more than 100,000 miles. This is an uncomplicated, reliable - (Knock on Wood) - fun to drive, solid car, and I love it.

Great four-speed automatic transmission. Revs stay low at highway speeds. Great road manners. Highway driving is solid, steady. Premium sound system is great, 8 speakers. Great steering.

None really, this is not a BMW M3 after all. I've gotten what I paid for and I can deal with it's very short list of limitations. It would have been nice to have rear headrests.

Great overall car!
By Wrldleadck5

1996 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Bought it w/ 120k on it and now has 202k.. Very reliable car, fun to drive and quick enough for me. Only had to replace the normal wear/tear parts.. Struts, rotors, plugs/wires, ext.. Gets excellent gas mileage 26-28 city and 28-34 highway. Hoping it will last me another 100k which it's on the right track for.. Keep up w/ your oil changes and the engine should last you forever.

Excellent gas mileage, fun to drive on the windy roads and very reliabe.

Only suggestion is to keep up w/ the maintenance and you should have no major problems.