Volkswagen Does not Dissapoint!
By Gutsy on
1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback
I have had this car for four and a half years and I can safely say that it has not disappointed. The interior is spacious and can comfortably seat four male adults. I'm an average sized guy (5'9'', 165 lbs.) and I can sit in the car on a long ride with no problems. The City does not have too many options, so if you're looking for more creature comforts, I'd suggest the GLS or GLX models. The 8V motor provides plenty of power in second and third gear. Its gas mileage is great and as long as you keep up with routine maintenance, the cost to keep it running top notch is virtually zero! I replaced the head gasket at 108,000 miles and tossed some other mods onto it, and it's been great.
Favorite Features
The car is a blast to drive! It may not hang with the VR6 on a straight run, but when you get into the curved areas, this car really shines. I have modified the suspension, upgraded the tires and done a few other small things, and this thing rips on back roads!
Suggested Improvements
The ABA 8V motor is a little sluggish when you consider how much large the MKIII Volkswagens were. A VR6 in the 4-door Golf would have been nice, but hey, toss on some bolt-ons and you can hang with the six cylinder crowd.