Used 1995 Volkswagen Golf City Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Volkswagen Does not Dissapoint!
By Gutsy

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

I have had this car for four and a half years and I can safely say that it has not disappointed. The interior is spacious and can comfortably seat four male adults. I'm an average sized guy (5'9'', 165 lbs.) and I can sit in the car on a long ride with no problems. The City does not have too many options, so if you're looking for more creature comforts, I'd suggest the GLS or GLX models. The 8V motor provides plenty of power in second and third gear. Its gas mileage is great and as long as you keep up with routine maintenance, the cost to keep it running top notch is virtually zero! I replaced the head gasket at 108,000 miles and tossed some other mods onto it, and it's been great.

Favorite Features

The car is a blast to drive! It may not hang with the VR6 on a straight run, but when you get into the curved areas, this car really shines. I have modified the suspension, upgraded the tires and done a few other small things, and this thing rips on back roads!

Suggested Improvements

The ABA 8V motor is a little sluggish when you consider how much large the MKIII Volkswagens were. A VR6 in the 4-door Golf would have been nice, but hey, toss on some bolt-ons and you can hang with the six cylinder crowd.

bad choice
By lewis carter

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

this cars body side moldings fell off twice.shocks are very bad.ac system went out and my engine just blew out of nowhere.this is the worst car i've ever had.i will not even drive another if i was a race car driver and vw sponsered me!

Favorite Features

gas

Suggested Improvements

body moldings ,engine,brakes, ac,clutch,paint,lights

reliable, gas efficient, swift
By ben lindsley

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

i have had only good experiences with this vehicle in gas, cost of repairs, and number of repairs. It is definitely a highway car as it does 80 mph like a breeze, and has good pick up at high speeds.

Favorite Features

i recommend a 5 speed for this car highly, unless you are in bumper traffic everyday...visibility is very good, easy to know surroundings.

Suggested Improvements

higher caliber suspension is well worth it, like the gti has, and better rims, as they bend easily after too many potholes.

Hooked Up...
By thaiteboi

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

I bought this Golf with 52k miles in dec/o2, the car now has 69k miles on it 7months later, no problems @ all, I run synthetic oil in it... the car is very reliable... as a commuter, or weekend race project, add another $10,000 or so, & it's performance & style will be on par with will a bimmer my car has many of the aftermarket upgrade options avail... I added leather seats inside & a 7" in-dash dvd/tv system... exterior, upgraded all the lighting, lowered the car 2" & have a set of borbet wheels.. performance wise I have a Neuspeed Supercharger,50Hp shot Nitrous Express , aftermarket exhaust & many other goodies... wwww.vwvortex.com for more info on vw's

No More VW
By No More VW

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

I loved this car when I bought it. It is really fun to drive, but that's where the excitement ends. A lot of things break on this car. Hoses, electronics, gauges, door locks, the list goes on. And nothing is cheap to fix or replace. I've heard that VW parts are more expensive than Mercedes Benz, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Quality is not great either: the mouldings on the doors are discoloured, it's making a lot of little noises, and the seats aren't very stable.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good sound system. Golf CL came with a lot of options I couldn't find on comparable cars.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are totally useless, you can't even fit a Grande Starbucks coffee in them. Noisy, quality is poor, expensive parts/maintenance.