1995 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Volkswagen Does not Dissapoint!
By Gutsy on 01/29/07 09:44 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback

I have had this car for four and a half years and I can safely say that it has not disappointed. The interior is spacious and can comfortably seat four male adults. I'm an average sized guy (5'9'', 165 lbs.) and I can sit in the car on a long ride with no problems. The City does not have too many options, so if you're looking for more creature comforts, I'd suggest the GLS or GLX models. The 8V motor provides plenty of power in second and third gear. Its gas mileage is great and as long as you keep up with routine maintenance, the cost to keep it running top notch is virtually zero! I replaced the head gasket at 108,000 miles and tossed some other mods onto it, and it's been great.

bad choice
By lewis carter on 10/21/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback

this cars body side moldings fell off twice.shocks are very bad.ac system went out and my engine just blew out of nowhere.this is the worst car i've ever had.i will not even drive another if i was a race car driver and vw sponsered me!

reliable, gas efficient, swift
By ben lindsley on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback

i have had only good experiences with this vehicle in gas, cost of repairs, and number of repairs. It is definitely a highway car as it does 80 mph like a breeze, and has good pick up at high speeds.

Hooked Up...
By thaiteboi on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback

I bought this Golf with 52k miles in dec/o2, the car now has 69k miles on it 7months later, no problems @ all, I run synthetic oil in it... the car is very reliable... as a commuter, or weekend race project, add another $10,000 or so, & it's performance & style will be on par with will a bimmer my car has many of the aftermarket upgrade options avail... I added leather seats inside & a 7" in-dash dvd/tv system... exterior, upgraded all the lighting, lowered the car 2" & have a set of borbet wheels.. performance wise I have a Neuspeed Supercharger,50Hp shot Nitrous Express , aftermarket exhaust & many other goodies... wwww.vwvortex.com for more info on vw's

No More VW
By No More VW on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback

I loved this car when I bought it. It is really fun to drive, but that's where the excitement ends. A lot of things break on this car. Hoses, electronics, gauges, door locks, the list goes on. And nothing is cheap to fix or replace. I've heard that VW parts are more expensive than Mercedes Benz, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Quality is not great either: the mouldings on the doors are discoloured, it's making a lot of little noises, and the seats aren't very stable.

Fun to drive
By hiepw on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf City 4dr Hatchback

VW is fun to drive, but expensive to maintain (repair & maintenance costs are high)